Blurriness

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

khatrimaf
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Blurriness

Postby khatrimaf » Sat 03 Nov 2012 5:45 am

Although i have mild keratoconus in left eye (lying just beneath the centre of the cornea), for some days vision remains stable all through the day but there are day when my vision is unable to focus at all. My prescription is only +0.75 for which I have ordered kerasoft 2 lens few days back.

Can anyone explain what may be causing this bluriness and inability to focus???

thanks.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Re: Blurriness

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 03 Nov 2012 3:19 pm

I can't give you a scientific explanation, but I think most people with KC find clarity of vision varies from day to day and can also vary during the day, getting worse as the eyes/brain get tired in the evening.
Anne

khatrimaf
Contributor
Contributor

Postby khatrimaf » Sat 03 Nov 2012 3:23 pm

But do lenses help?

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Sat 03 Nov 2012 10:40 pm

Hello there again...

A cornea that is affected by keratoconus is about 60% softer than a normal one. This means if my rub your eye, sleep on it or otherwise cause mechanical stress to it, it will change shape.

This causes changes in the surface of the cornea that in turn changes the prescription which in its turn causes vision changes.

This is to be expected with keratoconus and will continually happen even if the condition does not progress. Contact lenses only help to a certain extent. The only way to stop this fluctuation at the moment is with CXL.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

khatrimaf
Contributor
Contributor

Postby khatrimaf » Sun 04 Nov 2012 8:54 am

Thanks for your feedback.

To explain further, in my right eye which is grafted as well has very low vision. There is some astigmatism and it is squint as well. I had a lens trial in which the optometrist tried to remove doubling which appears if I wear glasses in that eye. In the trial she used two different lenses, kerasoft IC and Rose K post graft lens. With IC there was still some doubling but with Rosé K doubling had gone. Good news! I will have to wait for the lens until all my stitches are removed.

Now I will explain my blurriest problem. When I am viewing, working on computer or driving, the vision suddenly gets blurred. Even when i want to focus, vision doesn't improve. But when I cover my right grafted eye, vision gets better! This did not happen until more than a year after the graft, but why now. Is it because my left eye has weakened? or is it the vision of right eye which is interfering with my overall vision even though its very weak.

Please advise.

Thanks

Return to “General Discussion Forum”