CROSSLINKING IN BOTH EYES - WHAT TO EXPECT

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

caroline6505
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

CROSSLINKING IN BOTH EYES - WHAT TO EXPECT

Postby caroline6505 » Fri 03 Jun 2011 12:45 pm

Hi

I'm having both eyes crosslinked on the 21st of this month at the Centre for Sight. Although I've asked what to expect, there's nothing like hearing it 'like it is' from people who've actually had it done. Added complication is that I'll likely now be travelling alone and am worrying about all sorts – will I be able to see anything given I'm having both eyes done? I hear some people see a haze. Already heard about the pain the following day!!! Just a bit concerned about getting around and the vulnerability of not being able to see. Any advice welcomed.

Caroline.

bongoland1
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: CROSSLINKING IN BOTH EYES - WHAT TO EXPECT

Postby bongoland1 » Fri 03 Jun 2011 3:45 pm

Hi Caroline,

I have had both eyes done at Centre For Sight separately. While the procedure itself is not too daunting there can be quite a bit of pain for the first 2-3 days. I had my eye covered completely for a good 2-3 days. The bandage contact lens is usually removed after about 48 hours although it depends on your healing. Painkillers may well be necessary. Centre for sight uses the Epi-off method which means the scrape off parts of your cornea so the recovery can be a bit painful for a few days.

I would strongly suggest that if at all possible you can find someone to go with you as it will definitely be helpful when you leave at the end of the day. This is especially true if you are getting both eyes done at the same time. I would have found it nearly impossible to open my left eye right after after I had it done in February this year. I needed someone to guide me as I had my left eye (my 'good' eye) covered.

I hope this is helpful.

Best of luck,
Shonil

NickDash
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby NickDash » Mon 06 Jun 2011 2:50 pm

Caroline
Certainly let the clinic know you are on your own.
They will advise you of the impact of surgery.
Your Ophthalmologist has no doubt assessed this but may be unaware that you will be on your own.

Nick

caroline6505
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Other

Postby caroline6505 » Mon 06 Jun 2011 4:22 pm

Hi

Thanks both for your replies.

I've emailed the Centre for Sight and told them that I may be on my own and asked for advice regarding whether I should have both eyes done on the day. My guess is that the only reason I was advised to have both done was for financial reasons – I'm from Edinburgh and so flights, hotels, etc will all soon mount up. Having trolled the internet, most that have had crosslinking talk about the pain, etc. I'm not fearful of the procedure, being in pain ((I've got an autistic son (whose lovely!) but doesn't sleep much and so am looking forward to a bit of shuteye!), being on my own – more concerned about the simplest of tasks i.e. getting a taxi, paying for it, paying for the procedure i.e. inputting card pin number, checking in at the airport, etc could all be a nightmare if I can't see very well or at all.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”