eye rubbing

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

tadiehatley
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

eye rubbing

Postby tadiehatley » Sun 21 Oct 2007 6:25 pm

Hi... I am newish to this forum... I want to know what eye rubbing has to do with K.C ? I rub my eye a lot... and in the mornings my eye are very gunky (only word I can think of to descibe it!!!) full of sleep and itchy....once i have cleaned out the sleep and had a good rub they are ok.... is it a bad thing to rub them? any answers I :wink: would be grateful
Hayley and Tadie

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: eye rubbing

Postby GarethB » Sun 28 Oct 2007 4:14 pm

Basically eye rubbing should be avoided. By rubbing you are stressing and already stressed component of the eye which is why you will often come across statements such as eye rubbing causes KC to progress. For many of us it is a symptom.

This question was asked of one of the speakers at this years confrence and his advice was to get it treated.

I got mine treated and KC has been stable for three years since then.

Eyes are less gunged up too.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sun 28 Oct 2007 4:44 pm

As an unreconstructed eye rubber, let me say that I agree with Gareth that the habit should be avoided. Since my grafts I have been careful not to rub my eyes, and when I feel the urge beginnign to overwhelm me I bathe my itchy eyes in hypermelose from the fridge, or get a wet face cloth and hold it against my eyes.

I am confident that eye rubbing is a symptom of keratoconus rather than its cause, although it is clearly possible for rubbing eyes to cause further damage to eyes that are already distressed.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

tadiehatley
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tadiehatley » Sun 28 Oct 2007 7:35 pm

Hi guys thanks for the advice I will try and rub less..... u say to get it treated.... is this something that I can go to my G.P for or is it a hospital job .. the reason I ask is I dont see a hosptitail doc about my KC till the end of Nov... but I have a brill GP and can see him any time... also what is hypermelose is it drops or a cream? and is it a perscription job...sorry if I sound a bit thick.. I have my laser treatment for my cateract problem on the 13thnov. But this doc is not KC bod but I have been told that it is ok to have the laser treatment as it wont effect my cornea. And basiclly if I dont have it done my vision wont improve in that eye...... no matter what lens I have.... so in a way I dont have a choice... see... or stay as I am with little useful vison in that eye a trciky one. anyway thanks for the advice :D
Hayley and Tadie

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 28 Oct 2007 8:02 pm

Mine was treated through the hospital contact lens clinic when I had fitting problems, but your GP should be able to get you sorted.
Gareth

Lisa Nixon
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Lisa Nixon » Mon 29 Oct 2007 9:10 am

I used to rub my eyes all the time, even post graft. However since I've cut sugary foods, including chocolate from my diet ( I'm a total chocoholic and really miss it!), plus reduced bread and coffee I hardly ever rub them. My hands which tend to be dry and itchy have improved too. I've also stopped sneezing - I also eat/drink goats cheese and milk rather than cow juice which has helped too.
Only Robinson Crusoe got everything done by Friday!!

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 30 Oct 2007 10:11 am

hypermelose is an artificial tear dispensed in eye drops. You can get them on prescription but I buy mine over the counter (its cheaper).

Just a word of caution: although some eye drops are available over the counter, you should not use them with contact lenses without first consulting your gp or ophthalmologist.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Steven Williams
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Steven Williams » Tue 30 Oct 2007 9:47 pm

Tadie,

Welcome here and thanx for bringing up a problem which is a key part of KC.

Avoid eye rubbing if you can. Easier said than done.

Eye rubbing, and dry eyes appear to be a common characteristic of KCers. IMO it is an area which I would expect to have been thoroughly scientifically researched by now. The problem though is the UK health care system only addresses the symptom and not the cause.

The prescription of contact lenses increases the urge to eye rub.

Due to the structure of this website things tend to get repeated. More information on this subject here:-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2244

tadiehatley
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tadiehatley » Wed 31 Oct 2007 5:05 pm

Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have looked at the link and have written down the drops etc and I am off to my G.P on monday to talk about it. So hopfully get some drops to help thanks :lol:
Hayley and Tadie

tadiehatley
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tadiehatley » Tue 06 Nov 2007 5:20 pm

Hi I went to my G.P about the gunky eyes and itchy turns out it is an infection ... I am glad he sorted it out with eye drops as go for my laser treatment next Tuesday and I don't think they would have done it with an infection... So thanks for the advice as it turned out I needed treatment.I noticed a difference already less gunky this am. Not looking forward to laser treatment will post when I have it done. thanks again Hayley and Tadie
Hayley and Tadie

Return to “General Discussion Forum”