waiting til it gets dark...........

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

timtim
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: waiting til it gets dark...........

Postby timtim » Thu 30 Aug 2007 4:20 pm

I just got my RGP's and was told to rinse the Boston Cleaner off with tap water. I read here about using Saline. Is there a problem with tap water, and should I switch to Saline as well?

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby donna » Thu 30 Aug 2007 4:29 pm

I was told not to use tap water at all, saline is sterile. Its cheap, I pay around £3.99 in Tesco for a huge bottle.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 30 Aug 2007 6:47 pm

Donna; Glass cleaner for car windows needs to be specifically for car windows. If you use the ordinary stuff for windows at home the wipers will not work properly and they often leave an oily residue which on a car window is even worse for glare. My Tesco's does screen wipes by Carplan, these are good for emergencies but never quite get through the grime.

Other than Autoglym the other stuff I would recomend is Meguires. Autoglym fast glass is good too once the glass is clean already. I use these on my windows at home too and overall found it cheaper than buying ordinary window cleaner for the house.

Tim; Rinsing lenses for tap water is risky, although it goes through a treatment works it is not sterile like saline when you get it. As the water exits the tap (fawcet) it picks up all those germs that build up inbetween cleaning. Plus water is chlorinated and you can often smell the chlorine in the water which often cause irritation to the eye. Speaking as a micro biologist 'clean' tap water is full of all sorts of things which 'could' lead to an eye infection. The cost of saline is small compared to our vision and avoiding infections.
Gareth

timtim
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby timtim » Fri 31 Aug 2007 12:08 pm

You're right its very cheap. I bought 2 large bottles of Saline last night for next to nothing. I feel safer using that. The saline I got says "for cleaning soft contact lenses" (something along those lines). It doesn't mention anything about RGP's. Is this still ok to rinse off the cleaner with? I just want to make sure before I start using it :)

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Fri 31 Aug 2007 12:47 pm

Saline is pretty much the same. Where they differ is the ratio of salts the manufacturers add or the type of preservative (if any) used.

I think most salines say for soft lenses because that is by far the biggest market.

RGP lenses do not absorb the saline like a soft lens so should be fine for rinsing off the cleaner.
Gareth

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby donna » Fri 31 Aug 2007 8:59 pm

I drove home from the cinema in the dark and it was loads better than before :D

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 01 Sep 2007 10:35 am

Well done Donna.

I hope you enjoyed the film. We went last night to see The Bourne Ultimatum: by far the best in the series. The end is quite a surprise.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby donna » Sat 01 Sep 2007 6:24 pm

The Bourne Ultimatum is fab isnt it?! I felt like cheering at the end :D All the way through I kept getting urges to shout Run! lol

It was nice last night to be able to go out without trying to get home before dark. Today we went to Camelot theme park, a couple of hours drive each way, my lenses have been comfy all day without the foggyness or sore eyes I was getting before. I did all the driving and felt fine. :D I really wanted to go on the fast rides but was worried I would lose a lens so didnt risk it. Wish I had now though!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 01 Sep 2007 6:36 pm

We enjoyed The Bourne Ultimatum; the 'hand held' feel to the production in the first reel added to the building tension. I think it's the best in the series!

I know the feeling; you see a ride that you know you would enjoy but you areafraid that your lenses will pop out at the worst possible moment. That's why skydivers with lenses always wear goggles: the lens might still pop out but it will go no further than the goggles. :wink:

All the best.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby donna » Sun 02 Sep 2007 11:59 am

My son would have disowned me if | had gone on the ride wearing goggles :shock: lol lol I think next time I will remove them then go on the rides.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”