Help! Corneal Intacs Rings?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Lesley Foster » Wed 07 Feb 2007 11:45 pm

If you sit near a radiator at work you can get things that hook over them which you fill with water to help keep the air humid or alternatively place a bowl of water on the floor nearby and it will do the same thing, so long as no one knocks it over :roll:

I have the radiator things at home and it does make a difference especially this time of year with the central heating being on.

Lesley.
Live long and Prosper.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Thu 08 Feb 2007 9:43 am

We always need to be aware of health and safety.

Going to rant on that in the Chit Chat area.

For safety many work places insist radiators are not coverd some go as far as to put labels on the toilet warning you the toilet bowl water is not for drinking!

I kid you not, I have seen the memoe detailing what needs to have stickers assigned!
Gareth

Lesley Foster
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Lesley Foster » Thu 08 Feb 2007 11:43 am

Point taken Gareth. Never worked in an office so that sort of things slips by me. Would a plant be acceptable do you think?

Lesley.
Live long and Prosper.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 08 Feb 2007 12:14 pm

Plants work for me, I have a palm tree by my desk and the pot holds loads of water.

The ambient temperature of the office helps water evaperate from the pot as well as what the plant puts out. It is environmentally friendly too. :D

Tall people have a problem because the palm fronds are at eye height :roll:
Gareth

jamesleicester
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesleicester » Thu 08 Feb 2007 9:17 pm

Hi Ashley,

I am glad the procedure seems to be working well for you. It can only get better been as you're in the early stages, I hope!

I have been offered the procedure on the NHS but the consultant hasn't done it before. This puts me off quite a lot.

Where did you have yours done and was it in both eyes or just one? Was it a nasty op? Did you feel anything? Pain or just pressure?

I told my consultant today that I'd leave it for now, go back to an RGP and try the suggestions mentioned in this thread (i.e humidifier, try non-preservative solutions, store the lens dry etc) to see if the redness decreases and if I can start to increase wear time. I don't want to opt for surgery on my eye unless I really have to. A last resort measure I think. There are always risks.

James.
Live long and prosper!

jamesleicester
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesleicester » Thu 08 Feb 2007 9:26 pm

That's an excellent idea about plants Gareth. The place could do with a bit of brightening up. A giant venus fly trap will be very usefull to swallow up all the stuck up managers!

I will also finally be able to get my own back on a colleague who doesn't get on with me so has this stupidly large plant between mine and her desk so she can't see me.

Besides the above though the evaporation theory is good.

My boss has already agreed to supply me with a 17" monitor. Result!
Live long and prosper!

ashley wilson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ashley wilson » Fri 09 Feb 2007 7:57 am

james
david o brart in london did the intacs. he has done around 20 eyes and it was a horrible procedure to have done (under local anaesthetic), however as soon as he had finished it was relatively pain free. i only have this in one eye (my 'bad' eye), but have had c3r performed on my 'good' eye to hopefully stop it progressing. the c3r procedure was quite the opposite in that it wasn't too painful to have done but was very painful for a couple of days afterwards. am going to have the c3r done on intac eye soon so have that to look forward to! hope this helps.

ashley

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Sun 11 Feb 2007 6:02 pm

James,

I have posted my experience of the operation here: http://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/for ... php?t=2769, and although it might seem like a nightmare post op, I have no regrets and even though it's early days, I have had a fairly significant improvement in my vision, having gone from not being able to see the first line unaided to 4 lines plus 2 unaided the morning after the op.

I am merely unfortunate in the fact that I managed to get an infection. Each individual will almost certainly have differing experiences post op both in the terms of comfort and visual acuity. I already know that I will still be wearing glasses for the rest of my life as am contact lens intolerant, but at least for the right eye the lens will now be a lot thinner.

Like your consultant, my consultant Mr Kaye, was performing the procedure for the first time last Thursday, and is a very experienced corneal surgeon. I would say have faith in your consultant's ability.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Mon 12 Feb 2007 10:34 am

All consultants in the UK would have underogone training in any new procedure or will be supervised by sopmeone who has done the procedure before.

So you will either be the first he is doing unsupervised or the first he is doing supervised.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”