Just had CXL 4 days ago, my vision is awful, will this pass?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

stoke1863
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Just had CXL 4 days ago, my vision is awful, will this pass?

Postby stoke1863 » Mon 27 Nov 2017 11:05 am

I had CXL in my left eye 4 days ago and my vision is like 95% worse. I only requested 7 days from work and there is no way I can work like this, the KC in my right eye was too bad to do CXL on so my left eye was my best eye by far.

I expect I will be a little hazey for a few months but I'm talking not being to see anything more than 30cm away as it's so blurry.wilk this improve a little in the next few days ?

Broderick

Re: Just had CXL 4 days ago, my vision is awful, will this pass?

Postby Broderick » Mon 27 Nov 2017 12:22 pm

Hey, as I understand it your vision will be much worse for a few weeks. I had both my eyes done and wasn’t back at work for three weeks. First week I could barely see anything. It sounds like your eyes are right on track and doing what they’re meant to be doing :) I believe this is the usual process. It’s quite anxiety provoking process, but hang in there!.

Take care :)

Broderick

Postby Broderick » Mon 27 Nov 2017 12:23 pm

Hey, as I understand it your vision will be much worse for a few weeks. I had both my eyes done and wasn’t back at work for three weeks. First week I could barely see anything. It sounds like your eyes are right on track and doing what they’re meant to be doing :) I believe this is the usual process. It’s quite anxiety provoking process, but hang in there!.

stoke1863

Postby stoke1863 » Mon 27 Nov 2017 12:32 pm

Broderick wrote:Hey, as I understand it your vision will be much worse for a few weeks. I had both my eyes done and wasn’t back at work for three weeks. First week I could barely see anything. It sounds like your eyes are right on track and doing what they’re meant to be doing :) I believe this is the usual process. It’s quite anxiety provoking process, but hang in there!.

Thanks for your reply that's helped a lot, I can deal with losing 20-30% vision for months but I was worried sick what I have now would be the new normal for a while.

Here's hoping it starts to get better this week.

AJ24
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Postby AJ24 » Thu 30 Nov 2017 8:29 pm

Hi,
My son, 18 has also just undergone CXL nearly two weeks ago, likewise, his vision in the treated eye is still very blurred, it has encouraged us reading this forum that it will eventually heal, albeit a little longer than we expected, however, tonight, he now has a little pain returned to the eye and it is blood shot where it has been ok for a few days, any idea why this would happen and if we should be seeking help immediately
Thanks
Lucy

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 01 Dec 2017 9:42 am

With any sudden change like this after a procedure, I'd be checking it out. I haven't had CXL and don't know why this would happen. Hopefully it's nothing, but it's always safer to contact the clinic and ask their advice.

KyD
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KyD » Fri 01 Dec 2017 11:12 am

I would suggest getting it checked out as well, better safe than sorry. Everyone will have different experiences but I have had CXL on both eyes, vision was blurry and red for up to the first 2 weeks (vision retuned after the first week/week and a half, redness subsided by the 2nd and I was wearing my contacts again).This was relatively the experience with both eyes having had the procedure on each individual eye a year after each other.

HT57
Vision: Other

Postby HT57 » Fri 08 Dec 2017 8:06 pm

I’m about 2 years post epi-off CXL. Hang in there! My vision initially worsened for about 2 months, and then began a gradual improvement, which, based on my last check a few days ago, continues to improve. CXL reduces my astigmatism by 90percent and my corrected vision has improved to 20/40. Studies have shown CXL improving vision to 5 years or more. I recently had cataract surgery, which has helped some with my night vision. CXL leaves some corneal haze - a sign that it’s working, and flattens the cornea (so leaves vision problems. I have kerataconus in just my left eye, and 2 years post CXL I could almost function with just that eye alone without glasses (and easily with glasses). So be patient - you will almost certainly experience amazing results like I did! It just takes time!

Paul_M9
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Paul_M9 » Fri 12 Jan 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks HT57 for sharing your experiences. I had CXL and PRK in March 2017 and since then whilst Moorfields have said my eyes look good and my last scans were fine I still have quite bad ghosting in my vision e.g. there are shadows around everything I look at, when I read I can see ghost images above the 'actual' text, etc (I'm guessing this might be the effect of Corneal Haze?)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”