Mr Arthur Cummings Dublin - lasik

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Jolly Roger
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Mr Arthur Cummings Dublin - lasik

Postby Jolly Roger » Sat 25 Nov 2017 5:20 pm

I was hoping after my corneal transplant (DALK) I would be able to achieve driving level vision without having to wear contact lenses, with or without glasses. I can only achieve driving level vision wearing a semi scleral rgp contact lens. I also have dry eyes.

Which type of transplant will last longest - a partial graft (DALK) or full graft (PLK)

As wearing contact lenses does have a detrimental effect on the health and lifespan of a graft I am considering Lasik treatment following corneal transplant DALK to improve the astigmatism with the result that I can dispense with the contact lenses.

Has anyone gone down this route and if so what was the result?

Has anyone used the professional services of Mr Arthur Cummings whom I have been informed is a leader in the field of laser treatment for KC?
http://www.wellingtoneyeclinic.ie/welli ... mmings.php

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Re: Mr Arthur Cummings Dublin - lasik

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 28 Nov 2017 10:39 am

On the question of which type of transplant will last longest, have a look at Dan Gore's talk
https://www.keratoconus-group.org.uk/ne ... g_2013.pdf
DALK grafts are likely to have a much longer survival rate than full grafts, partly because risk of rejection is much less and also because they leave your own endolethial (back) layer intact with a reduced rate of endothelial cell loss.

Jolly Roger
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: Mr Arthur Cummings Dublin - lasik

Postby Jolly Roger » Thu 30 Nov 2017 5:25 pm

Thank you for that Anne -

"A French study has demonstrated that survival rates for partial (DALK) grafts, more commonly done these days, are considerably better. The endothelial cell loss in the first 5 years post graft was less than half of that seen in penetrating grafts (22% vs. 50%), and from this the French study estimated that 50% of DALK grafts would survive 49 years, compaired with less than 20 years for full-thickness grafts"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”