Scleral Lens

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Rooh
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Scleral Lens

Postby Rooh » Wed 18 Oct 2017 7:36 am

Hello, I’m new to the forum (about 5 mins, lol) so please forgive me if this has been discussed/asked before!
Yesterday I was measured for a re-fit from GP lens in un-grafted eye to a scleral lens. The GP on the grafted eye is ok at the moment but maybe changed. So my question, how long did it take to get used to putting this (huge!) lens in successfully? And take it out. I tried yesterday at the hospital with a trial lens but couldn’t get the lens in or out. I’m so worried :|

stuuk17
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: Scleral Lens

Postby stuuk17 » Sat 21 Oct 2017 8:05 am

Hi just read your post. I wear the scleral lenses and I must say they are a god send following RGPs that I wore for 8 years.
I know they look big and daunting but once in I forget they are in. Process I use is this and it took me only 5 mins to master it

I have my things on my bed so plunger , lens case, cleaner , normasol , I celuvisc eye drop

I go on my knees so my head is close to the bed , less travel distance for lens filled with solution so no spilling
Take lens out of case , clean with cleaner and rinse with normasol
Put lens on plunger, fill with normasol and a bit of celuvisc for dry eye
Guide into eye , no need for mirror
Repeat

Takes me maximum 5 mins for both eyes , the insert bit only takes 10 seconds it's the prep that takes the time .. hope this helps

stuuk17
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby stuuk17 » Sat 21 Oct 2017 8:07 am

Sorry to add on to get out..it might be a bit tricky at first but there's a point in the corner near edge of lens ..once you find that takes 10 seconds to get both out ..just a bit of trail and error..again this is with a plunger

Rooh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rooh » Sat 21 Oct 2017 1:53 pm

Thank you, I will try your method, fingers crossed. The practitioner at the hospital is keen for me to insert & remove with my fingers for some reason, but I know there will be a plunger provided. I’m worried about it all but more so the removal as I couldn’t get the trial lens out, but I was so stressed at the time. I’m sure it will be ok. Thanks for your help

ucahase

Postby ucahase » Sat 21 Oct 2017 4:39 pm

I too recently got a scleral lens (yesterday).
I have a plunger to put them in. At the hospital under the guidance of the optometrist I managed to get them in and out twice ok using the plunger.
However, at home I cannot get them in without a massive air bubble. I am getting so frustrated and angry with myself.
Is this a common problem?
Any hints and tips?
It's only been a day, but if I don't succeed soon it will become a psychological "I just can't do it" stumbling block!
Getting them out has been really easy though.
I so want to get them in because the correction to my vision will be amazing.
:-(

Jolly Roger
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jolly Roger » Sat 21 Oct 2017 8:34 pm

ucahase

Postby ucahase » Sun 22 Oct 2017 11:46 am

Brilliant thanks!
An update that might be helpful for the original post:

I have been using them for only 3 days and my observations so far are:

1. Getting them out is really easy. You just gently push the plunger so it sticks on and then pull and it just pops right out. You don't feel a thing. You just have to make sure that it is slightly off-centre.

2. There is a knack to getting them in. (I am still getting used to it). But there is absolutely no discomfort whatsoever. You don't feel a thing, it's just a bit hard avoiding air bubbles but I guess that will come with practice.

3. Once they are in they are really comfortable. This is my first contact lens ever, so I can feel that it's there, while my eyelids gets used to it. But there is no soreness or discomfort or anything.

Hope this helps,
Andrew

Rooh
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rooh » Sun 22 Oct 2017 4:30 pm

Thank you Andrew. Good to know it’s easy to get the lens out. I just couldn’t get the trial lens out, there is definitely a knack to it. Fingers crossed we will both get to grips with inserting & removing soon. I’m also concerned I’ll get a mental block of “can’t do this!” Having worn RGP for many years I’m looking forward to this lens being so much more comfortable & not popping out. Thanks for letting me know your experiences so far.

Jolly Roger
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Jolly Roger » Mon 23 Oct 2017 1:04 am

The chances of a full or semi scleral popping out are remote due to the cohesion created by the saline solution sandwiched between the cornea/scleral and lens.

The fitting of the lens by the optom should not be too tight and it should be able to moveabout slightly - you will feel it if it is too tight and removal will be difficult.

The plunger removal can cause more trauma than employing carefully the fingers removal method, either by pinging it out using the eyelids or putting your finger nail gently under the bottom edge which allows the liquid to escape losing the cohesion and the lens comes out but if the finger method does not work for you the plunger never fails. Practice makes perfect

The con with the sclerals is that they do not allow as much oxygenisation of the cornea as a normal rgp lens like a rose k prescribed by NHS eye hospitals which I believe are the cheapest rgp lenses which is why they only prescribe sclerals if these dont work.

ucahase

Postby ucahase » Tue 24 Oct 2017 9:12 am

Do you mind if I ask some additional questions about scleral lenses here ? I don't want to hijack the original post though...! This thread seems like a good place to ask.

1. When I put them in the lens is full of liquid, but when I remove it, it seems like it is totally empty/ dry. Is this normal/to be expected?

2. How long should you leave them in the eye? Can I put them in in the morning and leave them all day until bedtime? Or should you periodically remove and replace them throughout the day to 'refresh' them?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”