Needing help at work

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Bulls Eye
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Needing help at work

Postby Bulls Eye » Tue 08 Aug 2017 10:48 pm

Emma how long have you worked there?

I read your post about you giving your manager the KC group leaflet KC for your employer and him putting it in the B1N file. So you clearly are not going to get any support.

The lack of help and support from ATW and RNIB is appalling but exactly the same as I encountered. This charity is no different. You are in no mans land as you have not been designated as a disabled person.

Keep a daily diary record everything and communicate only in writing.

Send them a polite letter requesting a suitable till to accomodate your visual impairment and enclose the KC leaflet with it. Make them aware that you know your legal rights and they may start taking you seriously. If not you will just have to take them to an employment tribunal but to do so they will have to dismiss you or you resign on the basis of constructive dismissal which is exremely difficult to proove.

They will try to constructively dismiss you. Be strong hang in there. If you have a mobile phone use it to record verbal conversations and meetings.

Do you have access to any Trades Union representation?

Dont give up.

Bulls Eye
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bulls Eye » Tue 08 Aug 2017 11:07 pm

Dont tolerate any abuse or harassment from your work colleagues. Ask HR to provide you with up to date company policies - disciplinary, etc which they will have to strictly comply with. If they do not notify them of their non compliance. Should it then go to an employment Tribunal you then have all the evidence to win your case. The good news is that the unlawful fees the Con/Lib Dem coalition government introduced for tribunals in 2013 have been removed.

Bulls Eye
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bulls Eye » Tue 08 Aug 2017 11:17 pm

I f you have already made a written request for a suitable or adapted till to cater for your visual impairment (a reasonable adjustment) and this has been ignored raise a grievance in accordance with the companies grievance procedure. Exhaust all their procedures before you go to an Employment Tribunal.

Bulls Eye
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bulls Eye » Tue 08 Aug 2017 11:28 pm

Useful source of information. I found ACAS to be biased towards employers as is the employment tribunal system which is traumatising.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

Return to “General Discussion Forum”