Keratoconus & cornea graft question

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Keratoconus & cornea graft question

Postby J_ZA » Mon 14 Jun 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks. It's always nice knowing that it was all worth it.
Now it's just the process of getting used to wearing a hard lens. Had it in for 1 hour today, so tomorrow it's 2 hours and so on until I'm used to it.

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Mon 07 Aug 2017 1:21 pm

Hi

Looong term update:
It's been about 10 years since my corneal graft. I have been using a hard contact lens and reading glasses for working on the PC and so on.

No other issues, and the graft is still doing good. :)

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Mon 07 Aug 2017 1:30 pm

Forgot to mention - after more than 20 years with the same optometrist, she referred me to another one and this has made a massive difference. For the South African members on here, Dr Brauer in Brooklyn Mall(ZA) is really brilliant with contact lenses and managed to have a lens made that I could actually stand to wear for more than a couple of hours. I have recommended him to friends and they have had similar experiences.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 07 Aug 2017 1:41 pm

It's great to get a long term update and one which is good news! The nature of forums like this is that most users only post when they have problems, so people new to KC can get a rather skewed idea of how KC affects people. I hope things continue to go well for you.

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Mon 07 Aug 2017 1:48 pm

Anne Klepacz wrote:It's great to get a long term update and one which is good news! The nature of forums like this is that most users only post when they have problems, so people new to KC can get a rather skewed idea of how KC affects people. I hope things continue to go well for you.

Thanks, yeah I may not post often but I'll keep updating from time to time and usually no news is good news I guess.

It really does get a lot easier. My only regret with this whole experience was opting to leave the sutures in so long. The last few created quite a bit of discomfort.

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Tue 25 May 2021 11:11 am

Hi

Another update. The eye/cornea is still doing great although I have recently started noticing a slight deterioration in my vision so I've gone for a checkup with my optometrist. He's noticed some cell buildup on the implanted lens and told me to get a Yag laser treatment done.

Busy arranging that now, so hopefully all will be back to "normal" soon.

Other than that, wearing a hard lens in the "new" eye, and reading glasses when working on a PC. No need for contacts when doing day to day stuff around the house.

Almost 14 years and counting, and I still think it's one of the best things I've ever had done.

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Other

Postby RedOnion » Wed 26 May 2021 2:56 am

It’s great to see that it is going well still after such a period of time. Hopefully the cell buildup is just a minor hiccup and easily overcome.

Lovely to hear a positive story in what can be a debilitating condition :)

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Wed 26 May 2021 6:41 am

RedOnion wrote:It’s great to see that it is going well still after such a period of time. Hopefully the cell buildup is just a minor hiccup and easily overcome.

Lovely to hear a positive story in what can be a debilitating condition :)

Thanks, yeah I can remember my ophthalmologist mentioning 10 years being the "breaking point" and now I'm well over that, so I'm very happy.

The yag laser treatment is apparently a very simple and effective one, I'm having more issues getting my medical aid to cover it. Will update once I've had it done.

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Fri 13 Aug 2021 12:39 pm

Hi

So I've had the Yag Laser procedure done - less fun than expected because you have to sit extremely still with a very bright light pointing in your eye, but it's done now and the opthalmologist, as well as my optometrist, are very happy with the results.

It's not a night & day difference in vision but I have noticed that lights and oncoming cars are not blinding me as much at night anymore.
Other than that, the cornea is very healthy and the keratoconus hasn't returned in all these years, so I'm happy.

All the best.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby gsward » Fri 13 Aug 2021 1:00 pm

Other than that, the cornea is very healthy and the keratoconus hasn't returned in all these years, so I'm happy.

having these long term updates is really helpful to those of us way behind you. They ought to be clinically useful too, if the information could be captured in some way. I know it is in your notes but a lot will be in yours and the optometrists head.

Keep the story going!

Thanks,

Graham

Return to “General Discussion Forum”