Cross Linking Post Procedure and Ulcers

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

RyanDennett0
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Cross Linking Post Procedure and Ulcers

Postby RyanDennett0 » Mon 09 Jul 2012 9:12 pm

Hi All,

I am 26 and have been diagnosed with KC since I was 17, i have been wearing the small rigid contact lenses for the majority of this time and within the last 2 years changed to the larger rigid lenses. Since then I have had cross linking done on both eyes with really positive results in my left eye and noticeable improvements in the right. The procedures were done around 18 months ago and within the last 6 months, I have had re occurring problems with my eyes. I am regularly getting ulcers on one or the other eye or infections in my eyes. I have taken even more care to clean the lenses with the Boston Cleaning solution and have changed my contact lens solution to the Renu solution by Basch & Lamb along with regularly using drops to keep my eyes wet. Can anyone provide some advice or share their issues with these common problems as I am finding that going to the hospital regularly is effecting my work and consistently getting red eyes is one of my pet hates!!!!!

Thanks in advance :D

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Cross Linking Post Procedure and Ulcers

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 09 Jul 2012 9:19 pm

Ryan

Welcome to the forum. I guess that there will be someone along in a moment who can answer your question. To make it easier to find I have moved it to the general discussion forum.

Every good wish.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Tue 10 Jul 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Ryan

First, if you are getting persistent ulcers and abrasions, I think you need the fit of your lenses re-evaluating. Have you had a routine appointment to assess your lenses?

Cross linking does change (improve) the corneal shape, so your problems may in fact be a side effect of things getting better, in a paradoxical sort of way.

Subsequent to the corneal shape change, you may also now find you can get on with soft lenses, which are always another option. Some of my patients find they can gradually start to use even "normal disposables" a while after cross linking, so do explore this option as well.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

tezhumphreys

Postby tezhumphreys » Tue 11 Nov 2014 11:10 am

Hi there, I have had cross linking in my left eye just over 2 weeks ago, I went for my follow up appointment and the surgeon said I could put my rigid lens back in as I completely rely on it, I've only been able to have it in for a few hours at a time over the last few days as its really uncomfortable, I have to put tear drops in every 10 minutes, its so frustrating! is this normal?

I sympathies with you on any eye discomfort, its a nightmare being a graphic designer and having to stare at a screen all day!

many thanks in advance
Tez

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 11 Nov 2014 11:20 am

Hi Tez and welcome!
People who have had cxl will be able to tell you more, but I thought the normal advice was to leave the lens out for longer than 2 weeks. If it's painful, I think you're risking scratching the cornea and delaying the healing process after CXL. I appreciate how difficult it is when you're reliant on lenses for vision, but I'd be contacting the consultant again or your regular optometrist.
Anne

tezhumphreys

Postby tezhumphreys » Tue 11 Nov 2014 11:23 am

Thank you anne, This is what I'm worried about. i can't have any more time off work, I'm taking it out for an hour on my lunch, then again as soon as i finish work.
hopefully someone with same experience can enlighten me in the short term.
thanks

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Tue 11 Nov 2014 11:47 am

Two weeks for RGP's seems way to short... the advice I read before my procedure (online) was matched with what my consultant said, and that is, after CXL: 1 month for soft lenses, and 3 months for RGP's.

Do you have back up glasses? That's what I relied on until I was back up and running.

tezhumphreys

Postby tezhumphreys » Tue 11 Nov 2014 11:56 am

thanks for this, but this is not good news, i can't see well with my glasses, and certainly can't drive or work. oh dear!

CrippsCorner
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby CrippsCorner » Tue 11 Nov 2014 2:11 pm

Yes, unfortunately I was left getting the bus to work each morning, would public transport be an option for you? I know it's not ideal, but at least it's not forever.

Also, I was given a 'blank' sick note, to fill out the days that I liked... basically whenever I felt like I could return to work. I suppose it depends how lenient your work place is! I actually work at a hospital, so they understood. It also helps to print out the fact sheets from here and show them.

tezhumphreys

Postby tezhumphreys » Tue 11 Nov 2014 2:20 pm

I will arrange to see my consultant and discuss. I can't afford to be paid statuary sick pay, I had 2 weeks off after my operation fully paid which was good. I just can't see how I could have any time off. With the lens in if feels like its more the eye lid thats uncomfortable and not so much the eye. these eye drops arnt cheap either!

I do wonder why my surgeon told me it would be ok to put the lens in on my follow up appointment. He said it should settle.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”