Lenses driving me mad. What next??

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Lenses driving me mad. What next??

Postby GarethB » Fri 14 Aug 2009 6:03 pm

I managed to get useable vision very quickly, by that I mean leag to drive and work as normal and this was with me only being 48 hours ot of RGP lenses. From the study on my eyes and those been conducted on others coming out of RGP's I seem to be the exception and we now think that might be due to the fact I have had grafts too.

Left eye is very flat post graft and settled very quickly, the right was still changing after 7 months but that eye has what I was told KC returning to the host cornea and pulling the graft out of shape. From my basic self eye test I think that eye is stabel too. That said, the second lens fit reesulted in a lens that would give 6/5 and about 6 months of lens wear (these Kerasofts are supposed the be 3 monthly disposables) all my waking hours, it is only after 12 hours the visio starts to drop to 6/6 and after 16 hours we are still at 6/6.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hop you get the same excellent result I have had.
Gareth

MartinC
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby MartinC » Fri 14 Aug 2009 6:29 pm

I'd been wearing RGP's for 14+ hours a day for 20 years - I had better vision on the day I got my K3's and still have!

Good luck.

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Fri 14 Aug 2009 7:10 pm

Brian

My experience with people coming out of RGPs is that its variable. It really depends on the softness of the KC cornea and the fit of the RGPs. Also... it can depend on how good your vision was with RGPs before. If you got superb vision with RGPs then you will notice the fluctuation with the soft lenses. The warning is very apt as your Opto has no idea how your eyes are going to react. What I would say to you is that if you get good vision on the trials you will end up with that - even if you have a bit of variation on the way. However, sometimes, if the RGPs have squished the cornea a bit, then vision can take a short while to come back in softs.

Good luck with it all!

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

brianyoung69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby brianyoung69 » Thu 03 Sep 2009 9:19 pm

Okay doke. Kerasoft day 1: Bloody hell - how hard to get in/out compared to RGPs !!! However, how bloody comfy. Initially vision was a bit c**p, but improved towards the end of the day enormously.

I think I like them (if i can insert/remove without blinding myself - will take practice!)

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 04 Sep 2009 8:46 am

I guess you are right: inserting and removing soft lenses are new skills. I'm Certain you'll quickly become adept at manipulating your lenses.

Every good wish. Please keep us posted.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Lizb » Fri 04 Sep 2009 8:52 am

:lol:

Hope that you are able to improve the inserting and removing of the contact lenses and that you get the better comfort (and hopefully vision) in the future.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

MartinC
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby MartinC » Fri 04 Sep 2009 12:05 pm

I can put mine in easily enough, never had a problem there - still struggling a little with removal after 3months! They always come out but can take quite a few attempts sometimes. Has stopped me drinking though, would hate to try and do it when a bit wobbly!!

brianyoung69
Contributor
Contributor

Postby brianyoung69 » Fri 04 Sep 2009 6:26 pm

Funnily enough I had a few last night and I think it was easier. Really need to get your fingers in your eye, weird!

Day 2 : In and out sort of easy enough. Vision a wee bit fuzzy, but early days, will probably take a while for my eye to get used

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lizb » Fri 04 Sep 2009 7:26 pm

I think a couple of drinks helps you relax enough and not tense up, so may explain why it appears easier to take the lenses out. i have found that in the past.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

kitty kat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kitty kat » Fri 04 Sep 2009 9:35 pm

yip a wee drink does help you relax more. my son who is 13 wears piggy back lenses and needs help to put the soft lens in, i have to open his lids wide and im always scared that im hurting him, but with practice we are winning, he has no problem putting in and getting out the hard lenses, the optom said he was a wee natural. keep practicing and you'll get there :)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”