Cross Linking

If you have a question or comment about the forum or the web site you can post it here.

Moderator: John Smith

AndyM
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Cross Linking

Postby AndyM » Sun 25 Jul 2010 9:11 am

Hi
I am new to the Forum.
I was diagnosed with Keratoconus about 5 years ago. 18 months ago my practitioner changed the diagnosis to PMD. Six months ago he saw a deterioration in my right eye (which was always the more affected eye) and recommended that I come back after 4 months. When I did he confirmed his suspicions and suggested that I schedule an appointment for cross linking. I went for a second opinion and there one Dr. suggested that I go for a corneal transplant (my right eye is now -17, left is steady at -10) whilst the sr. doctor recommended that I try cross linking. That if the cross linking fails I can always go for a transplant (which doesn’t always work). He said that as long as I can tolerate the hard lenses, I should try the cross linking.

My question is, does anyone know of the negative risks with cross linking?

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Re: Cross Linking

Postby Lizb » Mon 26 Jul 2010 8:42 pm

no one really knows the long term effects of CXL as it hasnt been around for long - however light sensitivity & dry eye can be increased following CXL - though not substantially in my case. transplants are generally last resorts, and can follow CXL/Intacs procedures. however CXL/intacs can only be carried out with the cornea at a minimum thickness. Am sure that some people on here can give more advice on the different stages, i have just had CXL done on the left eye, and am looking at intacs - i have yet to find a CL i can tolerate and have good vision in glasses for the right eye.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

Return to “Help and Advice”