Is Laser Surgery to Blame ?

If you have a question or comment about the forum or the web site you can post it here.

Moderator: John Smith

KEENANA
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Is Laser Surgery to Blame ?

Postby KEENANA » Wed 14 Oct 2009 7:26 pm

Having had laser sugery some 8 years ago in both eyes, my eye sight in one eye started to deteriorate quite badly and to cut a long story short I was eventually referred to a specilaist who confirmed I had Keratoconus. I have since had collagen cross linking treatment in this eye, however my question is to understand how many other people who have had laser surgery (with no history of Kerataconus) have then go onto develop Kerataconus ?

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Is Laser Surgery to Blame ?

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 15 Oct 2009 9:34 am

Keenana

Welcome to the forum. I have moved your topic to the General Discussion Forum because I think it is likely to attract more attention here.

Good question! I know that you are looking for an answer, but I am afraid that there may not be one.

The best we can give is a cautious, 'Laser surgery may have contributed to the onset of your KC'.

As you know, to 'sculpt' your cornea laser surgery has to remove some cornreal thickness. Keratoconus is a condition that leads to the thinning of the cornea.

I holy that your CXL has stabilized your condition so that you will enjoy trouble-free sight for the rest of your life.

Every good wish.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Re: Is Laser Surgery to Blame ?

Postby Lizb » Tue 27 Oct 2009 1:01 pm

I met someone recently who had laser surgery a few years ago, he has since had CXL in both eyes (funded by the clinic who originally did his laser sugery), in the hope that it would stop the KC that has since developed from progressing. Apparently they had admitted that they should not have carried out laser sugery due to the risk, hence them funding the CXL procedure.

I dont know the full details about this person and his history, however this and the recent post on here about LASIK surgery in the US being under scrunity makes me personally question whether laser surgery is suitable for all the people that have it.

However the numbers of people who have had laser surgery of some sort, without problems also shows that for some people it is suitable. Otherwise everyone who has every had laser sugery would develop KC, and i think we would know if that was the case.

My sister, who has a slight astigmatism was considering laser sugery recently but has since decided against it after hearing about the guy how developed KC after laser surgery. She would rather manage with glasses and/or contacts as she doesnt currently than risk developing KC and the associaited problems we all seem to suffer at some stage or other with CL fitting well etc.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

Return to “Help and Advice”