A Vision Test

Don't ask questions here; this is for posting closed FAQs with their answers only.

Moderators: John Smith, Sweet

linda36
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

A Vision Test

Postby linda36 » Fri 26 Oct 2007 6:00 pm

I have just received a copy of my sons vision test at my local optician sent to his consultant. Can anyone explain what it means: left eye v = CF Sph = -100 Cyl = -4.50 Axis 80 VA 6/24
right eye v = 6/6 Sph = -050 VA 6/5
I am due at the hospital in two weeks to discuss INTACS Last time he had a topography and in one eye it was very dark red for most of the picture. I am very new to keratoconus and would like as much info as possible. My son is eleven.
Thank You

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Re: A Vision Test

Postby Karl R » Sat 27 Oct 2007 6:21 am

Linda can't explain the sph and axis, but there will be someone around who can.

The V/A, or visual acuity is the measure of how good, or bad the sight is. 6/24 means that a "normal" person would be able to see at 24 metres what your son can see at 6 metres. Whilst this is not brilliant it is by no means bad. Pre op my right V/A unaided was worse 6/60 and could only just get 6/36 with glasses.

For driving you need a V/A of 6/12 minimum, 6/6 is generally classed as "normal". With your son's right eye VA being 6/5 he will probably be using this eye to compensate for the left, and will probably get a sensation of the left eye being sleepy. What was the bilateral V/A?
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

linda36
Contributor
Contributor

Postby linda36 » Sat 27 Oct 2007 7:59 am

Thank you for the info. The only other info it has on is [ 6.60 H 9.30 V and distorted } It is very good to know that at least at the moment his other eye is compensating. As a mother and I suppose anyone with KC I think we all like the reassurance of this forum to ask questions. I am sure in the future the over-protective mother in me will be back. Thanks again and all the best.

Karl R
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I have Intacs implanted

Postby Karl R » Sat 27 Oct 2007 8:57 am

You worry away, it's natural as a parent - without kids life would be a lot less hassle (and cheaper!!!!) but there again a lot less enjoyable.

A close watch is being kept on my 4 yr old lad as he has astigmatism and given the fact I have KC his doctor (wife of my consultant) is regularly monitoring the situation
There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad. (Salvador Dali 1904-1989)

linda36
Contributor
Contributor

Postby linda36 » Sat 27 Oct 2007 5:49 pm

Yes I agree what a very expensive hobby kids are, but worth it after all they do choose your old peoples home. We have been told that KC runs in families and there is a very strong chance that if my son has kids it will pass on to them. We don"t know where it has come from all we do know is that none of our families have ever had it and it has'nt developed in my other two kids but has started in him at a fast rate. Thanks again and all the best.

Return to “Frequently asked Questions - and Answers”