more sub forums, more stuff?

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

more sub forums, more stuff?

Postby Knight » Thu 02 Mar 2006 4:33 pm

Since I find myself checking this place out a few times a day - and because KC is not my only interest I often want to post stuff relating to other subjects but there's a lack of 'where' here. Just curious if anyone else feels the same? Is there a chance (accordingly) the board, at some point could include, more sub forums for different topics, a small selection perhaps of unrelated KC subjects?

eg; computers, sports, literature, graphics/photography ...

The foundation and main aim of the forum wouldn't really be affected - if anything might benefit, if it was opened up a little could promote more activity, more interest and generally more discussion.
Only those with KC know the hidden beauty of a Christmas Tree.

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Thu 02 Mar 2006 5:57 pm

I think one of the limitations is how much John can do which is excellent considering how bad his KC is and that he is still in full time employment.

The other issue I suppose would be space on the server.

Still, it is a good idea.
Gareth

Hannah Pye
Contributor
Contributor

more topics

Postby Hannah Pye » Thu 02 Mar 2006 6:50 pm

I think the idea of more topics a really good idea, sports would be good or other items of interest. I have taken up two hobbies, which take me away form the thoughts of KC. One is tandem riding which I share with my husband, as he is the front rider, and the other is archery, again he is my spotter, both very interesting sports, also we get to meet so many interesting people

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Knight » Thu 02 Mar 2006 7:26 pm

Space!? But it takes next to no space to add a few more sub fourms with phpBB which are basically just entries in a mysql d/base usually very small. When I used to run and mod my own forum based site, I pulled it off for over a year on a free 20meg host, the forum software is tiny when you think what it can actually do, it's features and so on...
It really doesn't take much 'involvement' to set that up, as its just a case of +add title, once done it takes care of itself, with most admin cps you can have it autoclean, backup, filter and track new posts, threads etc, which again being all text, take up nearly no space at all. Obviously there's more to moderate, but it can either be auto filtered or delegated that task to a trusted member but mostly ppl exercise self control and respect around here so I can't see there being much if any problems as far as 'more' moderating times...

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Thu 02 Mar 2006 9:09 pm

OK, OK! I get the hint!

I've opened up "non-KC chit-chat" as a new forum. Can we please ensure that non KC related topics gravitate there though, and take care not to discuss KC things in the non-KC area.

I reserve the right to close that forum if the moderators have to keep on moving topics between fora.

The other issue is not space, but bandwidth. We are already using a fair percentage of the bandwidth we're allowed before we end up paying through the nose. Again, the new forum will be shut down if it could be putting the "real" one in jeopardy.

So, who's going to be first :-)
John

jayuk
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby jayuk » Thu 02 Mar 2006 9:15 pm

Sounds a good plan John!
KC is about facing the challenges it creates rather than accepting the problems it generates -
(C) Copyright 2005 KP

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Knight » Thu 02 Mar 2006 11:45 pm

BIG MAN UP to the Bossman dude! I hereby promise to fill it with meaningful chat and not spam :)

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Fri 03 Mar 2006 8:53 am

Knight,

Remeber not all of us are computer techos like you and John.

I will stick to what I know; my life and how to develop drugs 8)
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 03 Mar 2006 10:08 am

Gareth

It is funny how vocabulary changes. Years ago "drug developers" were unequivocally respected. Nowadays with the boom in what is sometimes called "recreational" use I wonder whether you'd accept the epithet "developer of medicines"?

Andrew

John and Knight

Really good idea!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Knight
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby Knight » Fri 03 Mar 2006 10:29 am

GarethB wrote:...I will stick to what I know... how to develop drugs 8)

OH ... will you be my best friend :) I like you, I really really like you ... please don't poison me thou ...

ImageImageImage

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”