I like driving im my car....

This is the place where forum members can chat about anything they want - sport, hobbies etc. Anything except Keratoconus issues.

Moderator: John Smith

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Sweet » Fri 24 Mar 2006 9:32 am

Hehe WOW thanks Gareth my dragon works!!!!!!! :P :P

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 24 Mar 2006 10:18 am

Sweet

Here is the story of the Lampton Worme

There once was a nobleman named Lord Lampton who lived in County Durham, in the north-east of England. As a boy, he went fishing in the River Wear, instead of going to church. He caught no fish, and so he started swearing at his bad luck. Suddenly there was a tug on his line. He pulled and he pulled, thinking it must be an enormous fish, but instead it was just six inches long and shaped like a worm, but with four legs, two wings, and nine holes in its head. Lampton threw it into a nearby well and promptly forgot about it.

The years went by and Lampton grew up. He went away to fight in the Crusades and did not return home for many years. Meanwhile, the worm in the well grew and grew. Finally it was big enough to get out of the well and went hunting for food. The farmers tried to kill it because it was eating their cows, but could not, so they began bringing milk to it just to keep it from wandering about. The worm continued to grow and soon needed the milk of ten cows each day. If milk was not given to it, the Worm would eat the cows and any farmers that it could catch. The worm was now enormous and went to live on a large rock in the middle of the River Wear.

After many years away, Lampton returned home and was met by his father, who immediately told his son of the terrible Worm that was causing such destruction,that had four legs, two wings, and nine holes in its head. When Lampton heard this, he felt rersponsible so he grabbed his sword and hurried to do battle with the beast. He found it sitting on its rock, and immediately attacked it. As the Worm tried to curl itself around him, Lampton swung his sword, and struck it again and again, trying to chop it into pieces. Then he realised that each time his blade cut the Worm in two, the two parts would wriggle to meet each otherand the worm would become whole once again. Lampton fought the Worm all day, but nothing he could do hurt the beast, and eventually he gave up and went back home.

The next day, Lampton went to consult a witch, who told him how the Worm might be destroyed. First, Lampton must have his armour covered all over with very sharp blades of steel, then he must wrestle with the Worm with his bare hands on its rock in the middle of the River Wear. As Lampton was about to hurry away, the witch added one more instruction. Once the Worm was dead, however, Lampton must kill the first living creature that he met or the death of the Worm would be avenged. He agreed, and Lampton went away to prepare for the battle.

The blacksmiths worked all night to make him his armour, and the next morning Lampton and his father made their way down to the River Wear. Along with them came the oldest of their hunting dogs. If the worm was defeated, Lampton's father would release the old dog and the son would kill it as instructed by the witch. Lampton waded out to the rock, dressed in his new armour, and went to do battle with the Worm. The sharp blades cut the Worm into pieces, which fell into the fast flowing river and were washed away before they could rejoin. The Worm grew smaller and smaller, until at last it was gone forever.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Fri 24 Mar 2006 10:50 am

When I was at school near Middlebrough (well travelled despite being anEssex boy :D ), this was part of your basic education.
Gareth

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Fri 24 Mar 2006 10:56 am

Really?! Ok, have just never heard of it! LOL! Although have to say that Wales has enough of it's own folklore and tales so we didn't really learn much about England etc!!

I love the story from Beddgelert about a very loyal dog called Gelert and this appears very often in welsh teaching. Also there are loads of stories from Pontypridd where i am from about the Rocking Stone and druid festivals and of course the Round houses! Hehe things are good lol!!

If anyone wants to read the story about Gelert you can find ithere!

Hope you like it, if i remember my friends and i cried in class when we heard it! We were only 5 at the time though!! :roll: :lol:

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 24 Mar 2006 4:03 pm

Sweet

I guess that each of the nations will have concentrated on their own fokelore in schools, although I had heard the Engloish worm stories althgough my primary and secondary schooling was all in either Wales (Newport Mon) or in Scotland

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Fri 24 Mar 2006 4:31 pm

There are elements in the north between the current England/Scotish boarder down to Scotch Corner in the North East that still class themselves as native Scots.

I think if the old borders were still in place, the Lampton Worm of Durham would then be a Scotish story.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 24 Mar 2006 4:43 pm

Well, thank you for the territory given up by england without so much as a whimper!

On behalf of Scottish people everywhere, I accept. I shall just wait with interest to see the oficial UK government documents giving formal effect to your cecession of this land.

Andrew[/list]
Andrew MacLean

Sweet
Committee
Committee

Postby Sweet » Fri 24 Mar 2006 4:53 pm

Hehe Wales may be smaller than the others but it is quite happy with the land it has but don't go looking to pinch any!! LOL!!

We probably did have some teaching on the rest of the UK but to be honest welsh people are very strong on their own heritage and don't really listen to anything, especially that concerning England! The most we learnt was that the royal family are there! LOL!!

Makes me laugh as most of my friends are english and i now live in London, although this doesn't go down very well with some of my older family members!!! :roll:

Sweet X x X
Sweet X x X

Andrew MacLean

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 24 Mar 2006 4:59 pm

There's a change! I live in part of Scotland that was once colonized by the Welsh (St Patrick was born just across the Clyde from me in the ancient WELSH kingdom of Dalriada). His nearest city was the Welsh fortified town of Dun-britton (modern Dumbarton). The Capital of the Welsh provence was at Govan (another Welsh place name) and the 'laigh King' lived at Ibrox (yet another welsh place name).

It was the arrival of St Kentegern (sometimes called mungo) from the East that started the Scots re-colonization of this beautiful corner of Caledonia.

Things were not always particularly cosy between the ancient Celts. It was really only the arrival of the Angles from the continent that gave our ancestors common cause.

Life is much better now!

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Fri 24 Mar 2006 6:20 pm

So England has given some land back to Scotland and Scotland has just given something back to WalesImage

Celts will soon rule the land again.
Gareth

Return to “Non-KC Chit-Chat”