Rubbing eyes in sleep

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

fatar760
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Rubbing eyes in sleep

Postby fatar760 » Fri 24 Feb 2012 9:58 pm

Hello,

As some of you know I had a DALK in September last year (left eye). Despite it being over 5 months I still sleep with the eye shield I was given (not the exact same one, but the same type)

The last few days I have had a few problems and today I saw my surgeon. If i can just briefly outline what has happened and then I'd REALLY appreciate some advice:

Tuesday Night - I slept without my eye shield and woke up during the night rubbing the side of my nose near my eye.

Wednesday Morning - I felt a burning sensation in my eye. Thought it was a result of my rubbing during the night. Went to Moorfields A&E and eventually got seen in the evening. I was told there was a graize (but not quite a scratch) on my eye and that I should take Levofloxacin for 2 days, every 2 hours, as a precaution. I paid for the subscription and went home. Once I got back I called my surgeon's clinic and the nurse there advised me not to take the anti-biotic until my surgeon was due to see me. She arranged the appointment for the next day.

Thursday - Again, I woke up with a burning sensation in my eye. I travelled to see my surgeon but unfortunately was given the wrong information and so ended up going back to Moorfields. I was now feeling nausea, headaches and a pain behind my eye. My eye pressure was taken and it was fine. The doctor I saw there informed me that there was no graize but instead, 3 small scratches on my cornea (not my graft). he recommended I take the Levofloxacin and increase my steriod (Lotemax) from twice a day to 4 times a day.

Friday - Today I saw my surgeon who has told me there are no scratches on my eye but that,maybe, the eye shield is rubbing against my eye at night and causing these minor abrasions. He's now given me some goggles to wear instead. Frankly, I don't really understand the difference. Surely I stand more chance of doing damage to my eye with loose goggles on than a stuck down eye shield. I've also been told I didn't need the Levofloxacin (£8 well spent there) and that instead of increasing lotemax to 4 times a day I should increase to 3.

Sorry for all the detail......

But, to get to the point - how do I stop myself causing damage to my eye at night? I'm sure I'm not the only person who has struggled with losing the eye shield (or goggles) and would very much appreciate some advice.

Jezzafletcher
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Re: Rubbing eyes in sleep

Postby Jezzafletcher » Sat 25 Feb 2012 12:41 am

I went through a very brief phase of sub awareness eye rubbing cornea graft... to be honest I had not used the eye shields after 2 weeks. Top and bottom...I needed to stop the subconscious becoming a pattern so I wore gloves for a few nights. I still tried to rub a bit but the restriction of the gloves and different texture woke me up if I attempted to rub and stopped me before any damage was caused. Also stopped it becoming a pattern,

Good luck - it's a difficult one!

Jez

fatar760
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby fatar760 » Mon 27 Feb 2012 10:10 am

Thanks Jez - that's good advice. I tried finding some gloves yesterday but apparently it's no longer the season!

I tried wearing the goggles as instructed but, I must say, these seem more uncomfortable and more accessible to rubbing than the eye patch. Maybe I should just keep wearing this? Although 5 1/2 months seems to be along time, post-graft, to still be wearing it.

How did other's overcome the use of the eye shield post-op?

sarkac
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Postby sarkac » Mon 27 Feb 2012 2:15 pm

Hi, After my c3R surgery, even in the night i took short naps with my alarm on in intervals :S .. to see if i rubbed my eyes or not.
i think i just developed the subconsciousness, like not to fall off the bed types

caroline6505
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Other

Postby caroline6505 » Mon 27 Feb 2012 4:34 pm

Hi

I must admit to being really worries about that too now that I've had half of my stitches removed (prematurely, be out of necessity). Balaclava? Handcuffs? DIY Goggles? Eye mask? Marigolds? I've still got my plastic eye shield and bought surgical tape out of a well known chemist (not easy getting the thing off though, it has to be said).

Best of luck.

Caroline.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”