Corneal Graft Tomorrow....

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Corneal Graft Tomorrow....

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 20 Jan 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Adam and welcome,
I walked around for 4 days with a rejecting graft before finally taking myself to A&E because things didn't feel right. After that, my philosophy was that it was better to go to A&E for a false alarm than to risk serious problems. Not that any of my subsequent visits did turn out to be false alarms - I think we all seem to develop a good instinct for when things aren't right. Rejections are usually easily reversed if they're caught early, and problems with stitches run the risk of infection. So better safe than sorry is my motto. All the best for good progress with your graft.
Anne

Jaimz
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Jaimz » Fri 20 Jan 2012 3:15 pm

Darren, I am more than happy with my progress so far. I got a plain lens for my glasses (for some reason they put a "balance lens" in) which has helped. Can;t see clearly out of it but the plain lens helps. :D

Adam, I haven't had any problems but agree with Anne in that it's best to get yourself checked out if you are worried.

All the best

Jaimz

Adam1234
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Other

Postby Adam1234 » Fri 20 Jan 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks for the advice :) my eye has been totally fine today no problems at all really weird! I know vision is meant to be blurry for a long time after op but how blurry? I can make
Out some writing on my phone sometimes like the time not clear though! I've never worn glasses or contact lens I'm only 20 and only found out I had it a month before my op. I've heard people say its the detail there missing they can see what an object is just can't see it clearly sorry if I sound stupid I just get really paranoid and annoyed about it lol. I'm guessing glasses or contact lens will correct it once the eye has healed and that will get the detail back? My doctor doesn't tell me much just says its going well and then it's another 3 week wait lol.

djs1972
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby djs1972 » Sat 21 Jan 2012 10:11 am

As the others have suggested, get it checked out, its alot better to catch a problem early than not at all.

My biggest problem so far has been my eye drying out at night, i have always had dry eyes, and this probably didnt help when i had contact lenses, so will be my first question when i see the consultant next Tuesday.

But so far it all seems ok, i am starting to get bored now, which must be a good sign, vision is better than when i first had the op, but i dont expect miracles on that front for some time, and i am learning to be patient!

let us know how you get on.

Darren

Adam1234
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Adam1234 » Sat 21 Jan 2012 11:28 am

Yeah my vision is better than what it was, I'm just impatient I think! I'm still on drops every 2 hours atm apart from at night and thsts because my last two visits to consultant some stitches have come loose! Very annoying I'm due back at wrk on the 8th so I hope they get reduced lol!! I've got a four month old baby as well so waking up in night is sometimes a problem because my eye just waters a lot and I've also got to be careful as she's already hit me in the eye with her hand by accident! Every time I give her a kiss I have to hold her arms so she doesn't move them haha! I forgot to mention my last visit the consultant said the eye that was operated on was also a lazy eye does that affect how long the healing process will be?

Adam

Adam1234
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Adam1234 » Sun 22 Jan 2012 12:45 pm

Been to a+e stitches are intact but they couldn't rule out a foreign object so he cleaned my eye out and found a very small black dot. Ive got an appointment tmrw at eye clinic to check everything is okay by my consultant.

Adam

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 23 Jan 2012 11:43 am

All the best, Adam - let us know how you get on.
Anne

djs1972
Contributor
Contributor

Postby djs1972 » Mon 23 Jan 2012 2:16 pm

Good luck with the checkup Adam, i have my first visit since my op tomorrow, so far all seems ok, vision hasnt improved much, but its not giving me too much grief, bit itchy sometimes, but nothing too bad.

This morning i decided as i am offwork i may as well do something practicle, and got the bus into Norwich, and was reminded why i usually drive.........

Adam1234
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Adam1234 » Tue 24 Jan 2012 2:17 pm

Had my check up everything is fine :) back there next week for
My original appointment so looking forward to that. Glad it went well djs, I managed to get down quite low on the reading chart with the pin holes if yOu get me so my vision is getting a lot better just frustrating waiting lol

Adam

djs1972
Contributor
Contributor

Postby djs1972 » Sat 28 Jan 2012 9:57 am

Not posted forr a few days, but until this morning my eye has been fine, not sure why but this morning the vision is more blurred, and my eye feels a little sore, its not at all red, and isnt watering, so maybe its just a phase of the healing, but if it persists, i will be off to get it checked out.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”