new to forum

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

sam_freddie
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

new to forum

Postby sam_freddie » Thu 18 Aug 2011 6:55 pm

HI All

I am new to the forum, just thought i would introduce myself.

i found out i had a problem last year (at 23) i just went for a routine eye test in a boots opticians, the eye test was frustrating for me as everything was blurry through my left eye, the optician took me to a different machine, then mentioned keratoconus but didn't really go into detail, after leaving i started to panic and tried looking it up online which just got me worrying more so i booked to go and see a different optician who diagnosed Keratoconus/pellucid marginal degeneration diagnosis wasn't conclusive.

I have been managing with glasses but did change them 3 times last year, i also suffer with allergies and get very red sore and swollen eyes so contact lenses have now been ruled out as it was decided by myself and optician that they would irritate to much

I went to see a consultant this week he advised that they can not determine if it is keratonus, PMD or both he also advised that although my left eye is the eye with bad sight the measurements of my right i are worse, not really sure what this means, again he agreed that the contact lenses may be worse for me, so has asked me to research the riboflavin treatment for consideration over the next 18 months and see how my eye sight changes during that time, he also referred me to here

So that is me still confused as to what is going on with my eyes and not sure what is going to happen in the future

look forward to chatting to you all,

x

Sweet
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: new to forum

Postby Sweet » Thu 18 Aug 2011 7:56 pm

Sam,

Sounds very confusing, I bet all you want is a definite diagnosis so that you know what you are dealing with? I have just looked up PMD and have found that both this and Keratoconus (KC) cause the cornea to thin, just in different places.

Sorry to hear that you have allergies so contact lenses have been ruled out. I'm guessing that your eyes hurt and water even without something touching them, so sclerals wouldn't be helpful either? Some people do get on with lenses though even with allergies and with hayfever. Have you tried any?

Some members here have had riboflavin treatment, so they will be able to give you more help with that. I have had a graft (DALK) and I piggy back lenses.

Hoping that you get some more help here, but you have come to the right place for support! :o) Great that your consultant gave you our details!

Take care, love Claire X x X
Sweet X x X

sam_freddie
Vision: Spectacles

Postby sam_freddie » Thu 18 Aug 2011 8:14 pm

Thank you for your reply,

At the moment i am waking in the mornings with very red watery and puffy eyes and they are weeping through the day and always itchy, i am trying a few different drops for the allergies see if we can control it and changing bedding creams make up etc see if we can figure out what is causing it although my consultant did say there is a link between KC and allergies. maybe one day contact lenses will be an option

at the moment glasses are working for me apart from finding it difficult driving on motorways in the dark and a bit of light sensitivity (nothing major)

I see you are from wales to :-)
x

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Fri 19 Aug 2011 11:34 am

HI There...

I am an optometrist, also currently suffering with allergies but also managing to wear contact lenses - its a matter of managing your allergy and finding a contact lens that works.

First allergy: as well as drops, have you tried oral anithistamines? They can work really well in calming down the whole eye watering thing. You can buy them over the counter and ask the pharmacists advice as to which ones are non drowsy etc.

At this time of year, mould and yeast spores are a major allergen and these can be worse at night, so try keeping bedroom windows closed at night to see if this helps.

Contact lenses: if your optoms were talking about RGP lenses, they are hard to wear with an allergy but other ones may not be, including scerals as Sweet mentioned and also soft ones. SO if you manage to get the allergy a bit more under control, then first look at soft lenses. In any case, if you are an early case, as seems likely from what you say, then these may well work for you.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion Forum”