DVLA Form and Keratoconus

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Soph+
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

DVLA Form and Keratoconus

Postby Soph+ » Thu 12 May 2011 2:32 pm

Hello All,

Been a while since I've posted. My eyes are ok, been a difficult year and a half or so with a wrongly diagnosed infection which turned out to be a herpetic infection in my grafted eye... been on going battle with it, but it's sort of under control now - as long as I keep taking the drops and the drugs!

Non grafted eye also good - had the intacts taken out and it's healed well.

Just had new glasses fitted, which improve the vision brilliantly in both eyes and mean I can see to drive... which is where my question begins.

Sorry a rather dull post, but I need to fill out form for DVLA and the hospital are being rather slow about getting back to me. I think I know the answer to all the questions apart from the one about macular degeneration or macular disease - is Keratoconus classed as either of these? I think it is to do with the retina and isn't related to KC, but wondering if anyone else knows for sure or has filled out one of these forms and had to tick 'yes' to any of the other boxes!

I'm about to starrt a new job that requires me to drive again - having some refresher lessons, but it is fairly key part of the job. If I can see the required distance (which I can) will DVLA have any probelms with KC???

I hope not!

Thnak you
Sophie

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: DVLA Form and Keratoconus

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 12 May 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Sophie and welcome back!
Sorry to hear that you've had problems with the graft - fingers crossed that all will now be OK! And it's brilliant you're now getting good vision with glasses.
You're right - macular degeneration or macular disease are nothing to do with KC.
And no, DVLA shouldn't have any problems with your KC if you can see the required distance. When I reapplied for a licence after my grafts, all that happened was that I was asked to attend a test centre and read a number plate at 20 metres. Admittedly that was a long time ago, so I hope others with more recent experience will confirm that it hasn't changed. DVLA might contact your consultant to get confirmation that you're now OK to drive again. Like you, I took some refesher lessons. Mainly to prove to myself that I was now able to judge distances and speeds again - an ability I lost before the grafts which was what made me give up driving for a while!
All the very best
Anne

Soph+

Postby Soph+ » Thu 12 May 2011 10:54 pm

Thank you Anne, that is reassuring. the optometrist said i could read the distance so hopefully she can provide a reference if required!

fingers crossed!

I've not been on since I was enquiring about the intacts - thank you for sending on the cd with info back then. We had a go, but the intacts were pretty difficult for me. Much better now they have come out!

John Smith

Postby John Smith » Wed 18 May 2011 11:56 am

Just to confirm that my DVLA experience (only a few years ago) was the same as Anne's. I had to read the numberplate at the required distance; but only because my optician classified me as "borderline". If she had passed me, the DVLA wouldn't have bothered.

Don't forget to inform your insurance company too - KC doesn't increase your premium, but the declaration insures that they will pay up if you do have an accident.

John
John

Return to “General Discussion Forum”