Night Driving & Yellow Tinted Glasses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

SimonB
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Night Driving & Yellow Tinted Glasses

Postby SimonB » Fri 11 Feb 2011 10:23 am

I brought some yellow tinted night driving glasses to help cut the glare from head lights.

When I told my Optometrist she said never to wear them, they significantly reduce reaction times.

Is this the case and are all night driving glasses the same?

They wouldn’t be able to sell them if they where dangerous would they?

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Night Driving & Yellow Tinted Glasses

Postby GarethB » Fri 11 Feb 2011 12:04 pm

SimonB wrote:When I told my Optometrist she said never to wear them, they significantly reduce reaction times.

Is this the case and are all night driving glasses the same?

All the night driving glasses I have tried have been too dark so I can't see as far down the roas as normal so I can understand where the reduced reaction time concerns come from. When I was wearing RGP lenses, I found that a pair of glasses with no lens power but with an antireflective coating on worked far better and didn't make things darker.

Glare can be greatly reduced by cleaning the insides of a car windscreen to reduce light scatter from the dirt that builds up it. Cabin filters in modern cars remove pollen and coarse particles but the fine particulates still make it through and stick to the window.

Now I only clean the inside of the car windows every month as the soft lenses I have for KC reduce the glare, halos and star burst effects far more effectively than the RGP lenses that I had.
Gareth

Return to “General Discussion Forum”