First post plus a question or two

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

First post plus a question or two

Postby Grant » Sun 09 Jan 2011 10:12 pm

It seems that I registered on here about five years ago, taken me a while to make my first post :wink:

I'm 41 and was first diagnosed with KC around 8 years ago. The rate of change in my KC appears to be accelerating, the topography changes every nine months or so.

What's finally prompted this first post is I've just been fitted with CLs for the first time last week, they're 'normal' hard ones. As someone who doesn't do discomfort I'm quite surprised how quickly I've got used to the grit feeling. Just a shame that the right lens doesn't fit too well with a constant air bubble underneath - the fitter at the Leicester Royal Infirmary spotted it straight away and a different one is now on order.

Q1 Are there any soft KC lenses available? I'd still like to get rid of the 'grit' if possible.

Q2 Any recommendations for cheaper suppliers of high strength spectacle lenses? My prescription is now R -0.75 / -10.00 L -3.50 / -8.00 and my current lens cost £335. All of the more popular online suppliers just run a mile.

Thanks in advance.

Grant

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: First post plus a question or two

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 10 Jan 2011 11:01 am

Hello Grant and welcome to the forum. And congratulations on going 8 years without needing contact lenses for your KC. Yes, there are special soft lenses for KC these days - examples are Kerasoft and Acuity Soft. As for glasses, unfortunately although we're eligible for contact lenses at the NHS rate, there's no such help for glasses (except for people in receipt of certain benefits such as income support or on a very low income). There is a slight reduction for a complex prescription (I think that's higher than -10 dioptres) but at the princely sum of around £13 it hardly makes much of a difference! So I'm afraid I don't think you'll be able to get your specs any cheaper, though I'd be delighted to hear from anyone who can tell us otherwise.
Anne

Lia Williams

Postby Lia Williams » Mon 10 Jan 2011 12:53 pm

Hi Grant,

The only place that I have found that doesn't charge extra for thinner lenses is ASDA.

Their designer frames are currently £50 each, or two pairs for £90 and this includes thinner lenses if the prescription requires it. Varifocal is an extra £40 per frame. Their webstates ''The single vision complete price includes prescriptions with +20 and -20 up to a -5 CYL'.

If you qualify for an NHS 'complex lens' voucher the value is £13-70 single vision or £34-60 bifocal. Also if you qualify for a complex lens voucher you may be entitled to an NHS eye test.

Lia

GrandPaClanger
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GrandPaClanger » Mon 10 Jan 2011 8:51 pm

Hi Grant

Can't help with the cost of the lenses. I can however assure you that the LRI do have some excellent CL fitters and they should sort you out . Nita worked really hard on getting the best possible fit for me.

All the best

Ian

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Tue 11 Jan 2011 11:08 am

It's Nita who I'm seeing too - been very impressed with her. Going back on the 20th to hopefully sort out the right lens.

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Tue 11 Jan 2011 11:14 am

Lia Williams wrote:Hi Grant,

Their webstates ''The single vision complete price includes prescriptions with +20 and -20 up to a -5 CYL'.

Thanks for that - there's one not too far away from me so I'll see what they quote for my -10 and -8 CYL.

Grant
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Grant » Tue 11 Jan 2011 11:51 am

Anne Klepacz wrote:Hello Grant and welcome to the forum. And congratulations on going 8 years without needing contact lenses for your KC. Yes, there are special soft lenses for KC these days - examples are Kerasoft and Acuity Soft.

They look very interesting. Assuming I can't get them on the NHS for whatever reason does anyone know the rough cost of a private prescription for a pair? £300, £500, £900, more?

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Tue 11 Jan 2011 7:47 pm

Hi Grant,

You should be able to get KeraSoft or Acuity on the NHS - your hospital can supply them. However, it is up to the individual practitioner to supply what they think best for you.

Private prices depend on whether the lens is annual or 3 monthly supply and will vary depending on type of practice etc. The best thing to do is to ask around practices that supply them.

Spectacle prices you might find a hard time getting cheaper because astigmatism correction over 6.00 cyl is expensive, as it is not "usual".

It is difficult having a high prescription that wanders around!!

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion Forum”