Travelling expenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

SimonB
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Travelling expenses

Postby SimonB » Thu 25 Nov 2010 5:18 pm

Hi,

I have been told that if I want a scleral lens I will have to go to Moorfields Hospital as the Norfolk and Norwich doesn’t have the funding to help me.

This will involve several trips between Kings Lynn and London.

Does anyone know if I can get government or charity help with the travelling expenses?

jessiex21
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Travelling expenses

Postby jessiex21 » Thu 25 Nov 2010 6:10 pm

Will be interested in any response to this as I am in the same position. I had a first appointment at Moorfields this week and have to go again next week.

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Fri 26 Nov 2010 8:22 am

Interesting question!

I will do some digging around and get back to you.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Ali Akay
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Ali Akay » Fri 26 Nov 2010 2:05 pm

Hi Simon

You state that you need to go to Moorfields if you "want to" try sclerals, so I am not sure if you've been told you need sclerals or you want to try them as you're unhappy with your current lenses. I work at Addenbrookes where we do fit sclerals on a small scale, but often manage to get good results with other lens types. If its any help, you could seek a referral to Addenbrookes as I'd have thought journey to Cambridge would be a lot easier (and cheaper) than London. If you need to discuss this further feel free to pm me.

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Sat 27 Nov 2010 2:17 am

If you are on Income Support then you should be able to claim back travel, I forget how you go about it other than you have to choose teh cheapest possible way of getting tehre and get reciepts, I had to do the same years ago when I had pscyhotherapy in Ilkley and live in Leeds..

x
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Sat 27 Nov 2010 12:25 pm

There's a few other benefits that also qualify for a refund of travel costs, such as income based JSA and receipt of some of the tax credits. Full details are at
www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages ... costs.aspx
The way it works at Moorfields is that you take a letter or something that proves you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit, along with tickets you've bought, to the Cashier's office and they can then do the refund. I presume there's a similar system at other hospitals.
I don't think there's any help available for people who aren't on these benefits, but if anyone has found another source, please let us know!
Anne

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Wed 01 Dec 2010 8:52 am

HI

Yes, having checked with a few people,it appears you can only get travel expenses if you are on benefits.

If you are not on benefits, then, as Ali says, the alternative is to try and look for other lens types. There are only a small number of people who have to wear sclerals as opposed to any other lens type. Also, most hospitals are more familiar with what Moorfields can do than what other hospitals in their own region can do, so it is definitely worth examining being transferred to Addenbrookes.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

DAWNANN
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: On the waiting list for a graft

Postby DAWNANN » Mon 23 May 2011 6:01 am

Thats right take your ticket and appointment letter to the cashiers office on the ground floor at Moorfields with proof of your entitlement ie tax credit card and they refund you. Im off today for my pre op assesment, very nervous.

GrandPaClanger

Postby GrandPaClanger » Mon 23 May 2011 6:18 am

Good luck with the pre op (if you see thus in time) It's nothing major (see the thread last updated 21st April)

Ian

Return to “General Discussion Forum”