Keratoconus or High estigmatism

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

atifagha
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Keratoconus or High estigmatism

Postby atifagha » Fri 19 Nov 2010 1:14 pm

Hi, I am 22, i wana discuss my case study.
i had been told that warming your eyes with hands can correct your vision, i never had any eye problem but just simple nearsightedness of number -1.00
I used the technique to correct my vision but suddenly i found astigmatism after using this technique, i observed that estigmatism was much in left eye but right eye was ok. I went to doctor, he said its normal, dont worry etc and wear glasses. After that i had to use the glasses with a cylinderical number and i felt after each 6 months the estigmatism was increased, two years passed with a slight estigmatism increase each 6 months, one night i did a lot of work as i am a computer programmer, in the morning i felt i had a lot of estigmatism and could not see anything very clearly, when i went to doctor he said why did not you check it up before, etc. Then i had offscan of my both eyes and he said your cornea thickness is 476 of left eye and -3 cylinderical, you might have keratoconus, lets wait for next 6 months, you are not the candidate of LASIK surgery, i went to other doctor, he said i am doubt that you have this or not, lets wait for next 6 months, i have high estigmatism in left eye and also feel some amount of it in my right eye. Please let me know what should i do, i am very much tensed.I feel trouble in watching tv or using computer, i also feel headache. I am doing its natural cure now, by eating spinach, taking carrots juice and using rose water. Let me know what to do.

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Keratoconus or High estigmatism

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 20 Nov 2010 2:28 pm

atifagha

Welcome to the forum.

Eating a healthy diet will do no harm to your keratoconus, if indeed you have this condition, but it will probably not bring about any dramatic improvement either. It seems that you are caught just now awaiting a definitive diagnosis, so the best thing to do is to continue to follow good dietary practice, keep your fluids up and avoid too much eyestrain.

if you do have keratoconus then you will probably be referred to a contact lens clinic and an ophthalmology clinic. Many of these work in tandem with each other, so the advice you receive from one will be the same as from the other.

Every good wish.

Andrew

ps I have moved your string to General Discussion Forum, this area is visited more often and your question will attract a wider variety of answers here.
Andrew MacLean

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Re: Keratoconus or High estigmatism

Postby Lynn White » Mon 22 Nov 2010 2:29 pm

Hi astifagha

The doctors are right, what you describe is not evidence of keratoconus, just that you have sightly thin corneas and some astigmatism. If you do a lot of close work, then some of the issues may well be due to spasm of the lens inside your eye, especially as you mention that it went worse overnight after doing a lot of close work.

As well as eating healthily, make sure you take regular breaks away from the computer, do NOT rub your eyes and make sure your eyes are not dry.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion Forum”