Difficulty with hard lens

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

spunk23
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Re: Difficulty with hard lens

Postby spunk23 » Tue 04 Jan 2011 11:43 am

Hello
i am new here and trying to discover this forum when i came across this question/

I had the same difficulty when i started using the lens 3 years back
it felt like hell but the point is not to give up
just keep trying and you will be fine one day
think that this is the only option that you have wit you.
it will work believe me

dont give up..

see595

Postby see595 » Wed 19 Jan 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks again for all your support and advice. Not had much luck - not had a lot of tome to practive either! I've been told that I'm doing everything right but i just freeze milimetres from my eye and Dr told me that its something i need to overcome - true - but the problem is how do I get overcome it? I am fine once the lens is in but like I said its just the placing it on thats the problem! I feel like I try and try then I just get frustrated by not getting it in.

Have any of you been in the position of doing everything right but struggling to place on eye?

Thanks
Sx

Ali Akay
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Ali Akay » Wed 19 Jan 2011 1:42 pm

Hi

If you are ok once the lens is in you probably have an anxiety about having a foreign body in your eye, and should benefit from some sort of anti-anxiety therapy. I've had patients benefiting from hypnosis and counselling in the past. Its worth thinking about, you can discuss with your GP, but probably easier to find a good practitioner privately if you can afford it. There's a lot of interest in EFT and TFT therapies which are very succesful for phobias, and I'd think would benefit you as well. All the best

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Lizb » Wed 19 Jan 2011 4:53 pm

I struggled with putting lenses when i first tried them as i found i was focusing on the lens hence my eye shutting as i got close. Have you tried focusing on a point past your lens/finger - i find that this takes my focus away from the lens and could then get the lens in my eye.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Mon 24 Jan 2011 10:03 pm

I had something very similar when I first got the lenses - just couldn't cope with seeing lens coming nearer and nearer to put it in and blinked despite myself.
They had to teach my mum to put them in and take them out so I could go home with thme.
I was I think 14.
The difference with the lenses in by then was dramatic so I wanted them in to see, just couldn't help myself.
In the end, I somehow learned to stare as hard as I could out of the OTHER eye and try to ignore what I'd otherwise have seen for the eye the lens was getting nearer and anearer to.
This is easier if the OTHER eye can look out into something well lit while the eye you're putting the lens in is in shade. Is it possible to organise this? - or use one hand to shade it a bit?
The thing that really spurred me into doing it for the first time was getting to one Suturday evening, my mum was still in the bath and Dr Who starting in 10 minutes. I was 14 and really wanted to see Dr Who not just a vague greyish blur.
Good luck.
Rosemary

Return to “General Discussion Forum”