Recently Diagnosed

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Newbie99
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: Other

Re: Recently Diagnosed

Postby Newbie99 » Tue 21 Jun 2011 4:21 pm

Sorry to drag this topic up again, but I wonder if anyone can please advise. My sister has recently been diagnosed with KC. She needs to wait possibly up to a month for another hospital appointment whereby they may tell her what specifically can be done for her. Her right eye is pretty bad and left eye apparently shows signs of KC. Might have had condition for at least two years without realising...

Now the concern is how soon can her condition deteriorate (esp left eye) and is it safe to wait the month required for the appointment? Going private is an option, but we were hoping to find out what the NHS hospital recommends before going private if required. Any advice greatfully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 21 Jun 2011 5:20 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,
It's really only crosslinking where the 'too late' argument might apply as it can't be done if the cornea is already too thin. Most people don't have rapidly progressing KC, so a wait of another month shouldn't make any difference to the options your sister will have.
If either of you would like our information booklet on the condition and a DVD of the current options, just e-mail your postal address to anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk and I'll send these to you.
All the best
Anne

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Tue 21 Jun 2011 6:38 pm

The only thing I would add to this is that there is are many options available privately that are not available through the NHS. Although crosslinking is starting to be offered here and there around the country through the NHS, it is not an option that is automatically offered. Nor are most of the other surgeries that are now available for Keratoconus, such as implantable lenses, INTACs etc. Additionally, depending on where you are on the country, your access to contact lens types may be limited by budget or fitting philosophy.

Therefore it may well be worth your while looking at what options are available privately (you can browse clinic's websites and ring them up for information) before you go into the NHS appointment.Make notes of questions you want to ask as well to make sure you remember everything!

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

Return to “General Discussion Forum”