Keratoglopus help

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anthony
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

Keratoglopus help

Postby Anthony » Fri 30 Jul 2010 7:18 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and joined because I was recently diagnosed keratoglupos. I'm a 47 year old male. My vision is still good, but one of my eyes has begun to change shape. Information about the disease seems very hard to get, and what I do get is very scary. I'd like to learn more about what to expect in terms of progression, treatment advice and any other general advice. It's a broad request, but I need to start somewhere.

Thanks - Tony

GrandPaClanger
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Keratoglopus help

Postby GrandPaClanger » Fri 30 Jul 2010 8:53 pm

Hi Tony

Welcome to the forum.

Not an expert, well read up on the subject though. From my understanding KG is a variant of KC. With KC part of the cornea develops into a cone. You will hear people talk about Nipple and oval cones. With KG the cornea is weaker over the whole of its surface so the whole cornea is steeper than normal. Take a look at
http://www.pacificu.edu/optometry/ce/co ... .cfm#Types

I told I had KC when I was 17 (like you I am 47) and have worn Gas perm lenses ever since then with GOOD vision and few problems. It is only in the last few months when I have been refered back to the hospital to try and improve the fit in my right eye was i told I had Keratoblobus. This has not effected my treatement and differnt lenses seem to be the way forward. After the age of 40 the progression slows so i am told.

To be told you have something that you have never heard of is scary but you have come to the right place and someome else will be along to over further advice and support.

Ian

pam39
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Spectacles

Re: Keratoglopus help

Postby pam39 » Sat 07 Aug 2010 1:28 am

Hi Tony, I was diagnosed with keratoglobus when I was sixteen (42 years old now). I think the progression of KG is not the same for everyone who has the condition, so my experience of it over the years may not be what you experience. I say this because it can be quite alarming if you think my experiences with regards to KG will mean yours will follow the same progression as this may certainly not be the case and I would not want to cause you unneccessary anxiety. Both my eyes have changed shape over the years also, KG is more advanced in my right eye and I have no useful vision in it. The vision in my left eye is about 6/18 this is deteriorating at the moment though and I am currently waiting to speak with the consultant about this. Over the years I have experienced abrasions mostly in the left cornea and I needed operations on my lower eyelids (both eyes) as my eyelashes were rubbing against my corneas making them sore. Two years ago I experienced a perforation in my right eye and required surgery. I currently wear glasses but the vision in my right eye can no longer be corrected with them and I am struggling a bit , but managing with my left eye at 6/18 corrected.
I know it can be scary, especially with you just being diagnosed and do not know what to expect and you are right it is not easy to find specific info with regrds to KG. I take each day as it comes, I find dark glasses that fit over my prescription specs helps with the light sensitivity and cuts down on the headaches. This forum is also really good for support and advice. If there are any questions that you may have just post them and people wikll respond. Get back to me if you want any more info. Take care and good luck.

Pam
pam39
Contributor

Vision: Spectacles
Private message

Return to “General Discussion Forum”