keraflex

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

jhon
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: I'm coping with no aids

keraflex

Postby jhon » Fri 23 Jul 2010 12:14 am

hi
i want to ask about keraflex (KXL)
has it been used in treatment and is it available in uk
this method has received CE mark
http://www.osnsupersite.com/view.aspx?rid=63523

so anyone herad any news about this procedure

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: keraflex

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 23 Jul 2010 9:18 am

Thanks for this Jhon. If you google 'keraflex' you'll find a couple of articles which say this was first reported on at a conference in December last year when just a handful of people had been in a clinical trial. There are apparently more clinical trials planned in Europe but it sounds as though it will be a while before the treatment becomes available - and of course the trials may show that there are unforeseen problems with it. (Seems to be a new technique for reshaping the cornea combined with collagen crosslinking). But it's always encouraging to hear that there are more innovations.
Anne

jhon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jhon » Mon 30 Aug 2010 5:52 pm

i want to ask
which countries and hospitals begin to do keraflex procedure in the treatment of keratoconus

David M.
Contributor
Contributor

Postby David M. » Tue 02 Nov 2010 6:34 pm

Hello, I have a little more information on the KXL procedure.
I've just had a corneal graft in my right eye to correct my KC. During my pre-op my consultant informed me that he thought I would be a perfect candidate for the Keraflex procedure. This was something to do with the integrity of my cornea which actually isn't as poor as most people who would normally have a graft. There is currently one Keraflex machine in the country in London (though he didn't say where) undergoing a clinical trial and my consultant had arranged for this to be bought up north for one day in November as part of that trial. This was to be at a private clinic though I would still of been a NHS patient. As I've never been a part of a clinical trial before and as it held the possibility that it could improve my vision to a degree at least equal to that which could be achieved with a graft I consented. Also if it failed I would of been straight in for the graft so I had nothing to lose really.

However my consultant decided not to include me in the trial. The reason was that he thought it was to new a procedure to use on his corneal graft patients, (I've been on the waiting list for 2 years). He didn't mention whether the northern trial was still happening (it was meant to be on the 16th November) but he did mention that they have had 'excellent' results so far with the Keraflex during this trial.

Sorry not much but I thought you'd like to know that things are progressing with Keraflex in the U.K. I'm a perfect candidate for Keraflex in my left eye so I'm going to keep asking my consultant about it. I got the impression (he didn't say this to me though!!) that he was seriously considering Keraflex as a FUTURE treatment option at the private clinic he's part of; if of course it's successful.

jhon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jhon » Tue 02 Nov 2010 8:01 pm

thank you David M for your information about keraflex
but i want to know why avedro company don,t release the update about results day by day

all i hear from them is the results very promising

anyway i want to ask you if you know
do crosslinking make me not candidate for keraflex procedure

David M.
Contributor
Contributor

Postby David M. » Tue 02 Nov 2010 9:22 pm

jhon wrote:anyway i want to ask you if you know
do crosslinking make me not candidate for keraflex procedure

Do you mean if you've already had C3R? This description of the Keraflex KXL procedure indicates that the C3R segment of KXL is performed after the Keraflex.

http://www.nkcf.org/en/research/researc ... rials.html

If you've already had C3R I'm assuming you can't then have the Keraflex?? I know only people with K.C corneas that have a 'steepness' over (or under?) a certain degree can have the Keraflex but thats the same for any ophthalmic procedure I suppose. In other words to answer your question I don't actually know, sorry.

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Wed 03 Nov 2010 9:00 pm

Hi Jhon

When collating results for any new procedure, one can't "update day by day". Science does not work like that. To put this in perspective, Cross linking is STILL on probation 12 years or so after its fist use in Dresden. It is not yet available under the NHS in the UK precisely for that reason.

KeraFlex's effectivity can only be properly measured after several YEARS of following up patients. Therefore, even if the current results look "promising", we can't tell if the results will last until patients have been followed up for some time.

I too do not know if previous CXL automatically excludes one from having the KeraFlex procedure. I rather think that researchers may well want to to look at this though, as it is perfectly possible to have CXL twice. However, it may well be that current trials are being done only on corneas that have not yet had CXL.

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

jhon
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jhon » Wed 03 Nov 2010 11:10 pm

thank you Lynn for the explanation
but all i said that avedro company can at least put the results they collected
every sex months,in order to know what,s happening with this procedure
for example
what the degree of sight after sex months from doing it
and what happened to halos

anyway another thing i don,t understand
how the patients been selected for this procedure
and when approximately this procedure will move from clincal trials to actual application

drink
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby drink » Wed 03 Nov 2010 11:39 pm

wow this is the first ive ever read about kera flex just nw from this thread.

Seems interesting as im looking into having c3r done in very near future.

So if keraflex does become available would patients still need contact lenses after they have had that treatment?

David M.
Contributor
Contributor

Postby David M. » Thu 04 Nov 2010 1:33 pm

Ttuf wrote:

So if keraflex does become available would patients still need contact lenses after they have had that treatment?

My consultant said if I had the Keraflex I would still maybe need to wear contact lens or glasses afterwards.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”