NHS Prescription for Contact Lens

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

RHARVEY
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Spectacles

Re: NHS Prescription for Contact Lens

Postby RHARVEY » Thu 10 Jun 2010 7:02 pm

Thank you, I will call the hospital tomorrow. But they have discharged me for now, so they may tell me go back through my GP.

Cheers
R Harvey

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 10 Jun 2010 7:07 pm

That's an absolute scandal! They diagnose you with advanced keratoconus, hand you a prescription to fill in the private sector without even giving you the NHS forms that would entitle you to the NHS rate for contact lenses and they discharge you? What about follow-up? What about your need and right to be monitored for further deterioration in your keratoconus?

By all means go back to your GP, and make sure that you complain most bitterly about the way in which your hospital has palmed you off.

Ask for a referral to a larger hospital with a good ophthalmology department.

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Lizb » Thu 10 Jun 2010 7:21 pm

i was told it is as quick to go back to your gp for another referral than for the hospital to refer me. Do find out where your big local eye hospital is and asktobe referredthere - it is your choice which hospital you chose tobe treated at.

Ps apologies for spelling errors, i am on phone on the train
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

RHARVEY

Postby RHARVEY » Thu 10 Jun 2010 7:47 pm

Thank you Lizb.

Is there anyone that can recommend a good eye hospital in South lincolnshire/Peterborough or surrounding areas.

Cheers

Ali Akay
Optometrist
Optometrist
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC
Vision: I don't have KC

Postby Ali Akay » Fri 11 Jun 2010 12:30 pm

Hi R Harvey

I fit contact lenses at 4 different NHS hospitals, and I can tell you categorically that you should not need to pay more than £52.90 per eye for fitting with any type of contact lens most suited to you. I think this confusion has arisen because the optician you ve seen and/or the hospital dont know the rules regarding contact lens supply through Hospital Eye Service. The NHS voucher scheme through HESp form the hospital gave you is help towards the cost of optical appliances and ranges from category A to J depending on the prescription. However the contact lens voucher which is Voucher J is an exemption in the sense that the Voucher value is the patient's contribution towards the cost, NOT the help you get. So, what your optician should do is supply you with the lenses, you pay £105.80 for the pair, and he invoices the hospital for the balance. This is the correct procedure, but there are some hospital finance departments who either dont know the rules, or dont want to accept them. So, if I were you, I'd print this reply, show it to your optician and get him to discuss it with the finance dept of the hospital. If you like, the charge is like prescription charge for medicines, and obviously patients exempt from prescription charges on income grounds and children are also exempt from contact lens charges. It's also important to make sure the fitter has sufficient expertise in fitting KC patients, so do your homework and find the local optician most experienced in this field.I hope this clarifies the matter, if you need more help you can pm me.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 11 Jun 2010 1:22 pm

Ali, many thanks for clearing this up once and for all. I was beginning to think I was losing my sanity! Especially as I've had several similar stories in the last week or so away from this forum. I'll be printing off this reply for future ammunition!
Thanks again
Anne

RHARVEY

Postby RHARVEY » Fri 11 Jun 2010 4:42 pm

Thankyou Ali for this information.

It is shocking that my optician can get the costing SO very wrong. I will go back to them and see what their response is; somehow I think I may be in for a battle on this one!

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Fri 11 Jun 2010 5:21 pm

All the best: you are not alone. There are 3,106 of us and we are all with you!
Andrew MacLean

ianwilliam

Postby ianwilliam » Wed 09 Feb 2011 12:19 pm

This is shame. I am in surprise that one is forcing to pay more money for a doctor's prescription than cost of a lens. You should contact a doctor who is in contract of a hospital.

Ian William

ianwilliam

Postby ianwilliam » Sat 12 Mar 2011 11:07 am

I am extremely sad with your problem. I am searching the solution of your problem & write it back. OK, still then don't worry....just relax.

Ian William

Return to “General Discussion Forum”