Scared and need advice :(

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Mabs
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: Scared and need advice :(

Postby Mabs » Mon 08 Mar 2010 12:14 am

awww no :oops: ... no offense but i don't want to go through that i really don't. but thank you for your honesty. But the only reason why i will be going for surgery is becuase on how far my KC has progressed in my left eye :shock:

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby melissa » Mon 08 Mar 2010 3:36 pm

hi mabs,
i know how you are feeling... and know it is a hard decision. i got to the point where i had no useable vision in the eye and decided on the transplant. i have not regretted that decision for a moment and know that i am one of the lucky ones. i have just past 2 years since my graft and have great vision in that eye (6/9 uncorrected and better than 6/6 with glasses). the graft has allowed me to start sports like sailing (ocean racing) and deep sea fishing, which would be pretty difficult with contacts. i may even be able to try learning to fly again (which i couldn't do before as my uncorrected vision was not good enough). my recovery was tough for 2 weeks, after which my vision improved dramatically and i returned to normal work etc. after 8 weeks i was snow skiing and i was soon swimming in the sea (with my eyes closed). i had some loose stitches out along the way and my running stitch out at 9 months...

always take guidance from your doctors... but there are good stories out there. i still have trouble with my other eye (wearing piggy backs) like scratches and recently a corneal ulcer.... but the transplanted eye has not given me any trouble yet (touch wood)!

i hope it all goes well for you.... keep us in the loop....
Melissa

Mabs
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mabs » Mon 08 Mar 2010 11:16 pm

thank you melissa, i appreciate it alot, well in my left eye i cant really see anything really just blurred objects, if you no what i mean? However with a contact i can see, but my eye don't like the contacts and then rejects the lens lol as in it just becomes really sore and pops out. but i think i will go ahead with it and il have to start all over again with the weight training

space_cadet
Champion
Champion
Vision: Other

Postby space_cadet » Tue 09 Mar 2010 12:01 am

I developed alergies to both kinds of rgp's they gave me, I am verry sensitive to drops aswell. I'd urge you to ask them to check it isn't an alergy you have developed if you feel your eyes are reecting them
Lea
X
May09 Diagnosed with KC, March 2010 after a failed transplant it has left me legally blind a long cane user (since 2010) who is blind in a once sighted world

Mabs
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mabs » Tue 09 Mar 2010 10:43 pm

Well it my big day tomorow, having my graft done, am really scared about it really. but im hoping everything goes well. thank you for all the information, will keep you posted, well thats if i can see out of them lol im ready for the worst which is pain and rejections.

Loopy-Lou
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Loopy-Lou » Wed 10 Mar 2010 12:05 am

Thinking of you Mabs, take care

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby melissa » Thu 11 Mar 2010 12:47 pm

i hope it all went well Mabs. when you feel up to it---- let us know...

Joanne Poultney
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Joanne Poultney » Thu 11 Mar 2010 4:34 pm

Just seen your post - it must be all over and done with now! I hope it all went well and you'll get the vision you want at the end of it all. I had a graft in my left eye 11 years ago - I don't regret it at all as the vision is great with glasses. Now my right eye is really bad and the vision can't be corrected much. The decision to go for a graft is a really hard one and I still haven't made up my mind. I go from wanting to just leave well alone as my left eye compenstates for my right but then I think perhaps I should get it done because I could get fantastic vision again. The decision is mine and sometimes I wish it wasn't! I wish you well with your recovery.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”