advise on corneal transplant

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Re: advise on corneal transplant

Postby GarethB » Thu 10 Dec 2009 4:32 pm

I've been to a couple of presentations in November and in some people the reason a topography machine doesn't work is that a whole persons optics are off center. The person looks direct at the LED inside the rings but in doing so their eye is looking in a different direction to what I or many others with KC would look at the same thing.

So it might be soemthing comepletly unrelated to KC, a consultant is possibly the best person to speak to regarding this matter.
Gareth

ruralrob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ruralrob » Sun 13 Dec 2009 3:30 am

Hi Optom

Thanks for your question ,I would say it has been like it for over 10 years now .It is the whole eye ball which has dropped (not sure if you managed to see pics on my link ).I am going to ask if this will be able to be corrected if I was to have a corneal transplant ,as this would be a big factor in deciding ,realy hope so .Because my eye sight has been bad in my left eye for so long now ,and my right is is good ,I have got used to it .I am just mainly concerned about the way I look .

many thanks again

Rob

ruralrob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ruralrob » Tue 19 Oct 2010 5:50 am

just a quick update

I saw the surgen yesterday and he is going to do 2 operations for me -correction of the squint and a coneal graft ,so I am realy pleased.He gave me the option of which one I wanted first ,I went for the squint as he can do the corneal graft 6 months later .If I had the graft first I would need to wait a year for the squint correction .He explained most of what is possible to go wrong ,which sounded a bit scary ,but hopfully these are rare and all goes well .I will add another picture when its done .All the best for now.

ps i had my hand painted contact lens made ,they got a really good colour match ,but it is not easy to get in ,I have only had it few weeks ,so I am sure it will get easier with time (fingers crossed I only need to wear it until surgery )

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 19 Oct 2010 9:57 am

All the very best for both ops, and do let us know how it goes.
Anne

ruralrob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ruralrob » Tue 25 Jan 2011 9:22 am

Hi I havent posted for a while ,but thought I would just let you know I am having surgery this thursday for my squint ,then hopfully a cornea transplant in 6 months or so ,Im feeling quite nervous as I have never had an operation before ,but quite excited aswell as I havent had 2 straight looking eyes for years !.I will upload some pictures after the surgery if all goes well .

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 25 Jan 2011 12:59 pm

reuralrob

Thank you for bringing us up to date and all the best with your surgery.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Max1967

Postby Max1967 » Thu 27 Jan 2011 10:05 am

Hi ruralrob,
I urge you to exhaust all other options before having a graft, although it is a fantastic thing if really needed.
I was diagnosed with KC in both eyes when I was 17 and after trying lenses for a while was put in for a graft on my right eye. All went well and I was using specs with good enough vision to drive. It was some years later that through no fault of my own I was assaulted and that split the graft, the pressure loss in the eye displaced the lens and most of the iris came away to. The graft was repaired so that I didn't lose the eye but I now have almost no vision and glaucoma which is stopping me having another graft. I am not trying to put you off but just pointing out what can happen as the cornea is weakened after a graft and always will be.
I myself am now seeing Lynn White who is on this forum and is a lens fitter for kerasoft lenses, I am amazed at the comfort of the lens Lynn has fitted me with and I can wear it for as long as I need each day she also thinks fitting my damaged right eye might be possible, I wish I had known about this years ago.
I could show you a pic but I don't want to scare you.
Hope everything goes well and all the best,
Max

ruralrob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ruralrob » Fri 28 Jan 2011 9:06 am

Hi max ,Thanks for your message and sorry to hear of your past experience with the graft .

I had my squint surgery yesterday and at the moment the eye is very gritty and bloody ,but the surgen has done a good job in making the eye look straight with the right eye .Im hoping it stays that way .The original plan was to go for a corneal graft in 6 months time ,but I got the impression yeaterday that the surgen is not too keen because of the risk of double vission and other complications that could arise from a corneal graft .I have a hand painted contact lens to match my good eye ,this covers up the heavy scaring on the eye ,so now the squint has been corrected and in a few weeks being able to wear the lens at least it should look normal lol ,although this would make me totaly blind in this eye .

Once everything is settled down ,I will have to think long and hard and consider a lot of advise for my next step .I ma very fortunate at the moment that I only have KC in one eye ,I am 42 now and have had KC in my left eye since 16 ,its just the last 7-8 years the squint and scaring has got really bad .

Once is settle down I will post a couple of more pics

Best of luck with your progress Max .Let me know how it goes .

Take care Rob

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Fri 28 Jan 2011 11:02 am

Hi Rob,
I hope the healing after your squint operation goes well and you'll be pleased with the result. With one good eye, you obviously don't need to rush into a decision about having a corneal graft - now you've got to over 40 without the good eye being affected, there's a very good chance that it will stay that way. Have you seen the DVD of our 2005 conference? That included a very good talk on the pros and cons of transplant surgery by one of the Moorfields surgeons. If you haven't seen it and would like a copy to help with making the decision eventually, just e-mail your postal address to anne@keratoconus-group.org.uk and I'll send it to you.
Anne

Max1967

Postby Max1967 » Sat 29 Jan 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Rob,
Good to hear the op went well, I know where your coming from about being self conscious of how your eyes look, I look forward to the summer when I can walk about wearing sunglasses all day and that boosts self confidence. I do keep getting reassurance from my other half that it's not as bad as I think and people don't really notice and to be honest she has tested this herself by asking friends sometimes on the quiet and it's true they don't notice so maybe it's not as bad as we think (hopefully).
Have you got any vision in that eye ?. Do you wear lenses at all.
All the best Max

Return to “General Discussion Forum”