Hello & Help Required

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

GreigS
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Hello & Help Required

Postby GreigS » Tue 24 Nov 2009 6:53 pm

Hello everyone - although Ive been a member for a wee while I havent posted anything as up until now nothing much has happened.

A couple of weeks ago (Armistice Day) I had the pleasure of having a full corneal graft in my left eye ( graft done by Dr Ashish Agrawal @ Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion in Edinburgh). The operation went well & Ive had my first post op clinic visit in which the consultant is quite happy with the way that the graft has gone.

Everything has been fine until the past couple of days. There is a bit more of a soreness in the eye & Ive got the sensation of the eye being very dry all the time (especially in the bottom corner nearest my ear). Is this a common symptom associated with the operation & the eye drops ( Chloramphenicol & Maxidex 4 times a day) that I have to take?

If the dry eye is common is it safe to take the various over the counter eye drops with the Chloramphenicol & Maxidex?

The next time Im due to go back to the hospital for a check up is 15 December but I have their number to call if I have any problems - is the soreness & dry eye sufficiently dire to give them a call ( I dont want to be a burden on the over worked NHS staff @ the Eye Pavilion)?

Thanks for reading & any help offered.

Greig

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Hello & Help Required

Postby Andrew MacLean » Tue 24 Nov 2009 7:03 pm

Greig

Welcome to the forum

In your place, just to be on the safe side, I think I'd overcome my unwillingness to bother the staff at the Eye pavilion and use the emergency contact.

The medication you have is pretty standard after a graft, but I am not sure that the dryness you describe is standard. I certainly did not experience any such dryness after either of my grafts, although now that I am no longer using either chloramphenicol or Dexamethasone, I do have 'dry eye' that is treated with occasional application of Clinitas.

All the best

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GreigS
Contributor
Contributor

Postby GreigS » Tue 24 Nov 2009 8:53 pm

Andrew, thanks for that.

Ill get in touch with them & let you all know the outcome.

Greig

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 24 Nov 2009 10:42 pm

Dry eyes can be a side affect of any treatmnt of the cornea, but as Andrew says to make sure it is nothing to worry about contact the hospital and play it safe. I know the hospitals I have experience of would rather you 'waste' their time playing safe than leave it and they have to spend even more time putting things right.
Gareth

GreigS
Contributor
Contributor

Postby GreigS » Wed 25 Nov 2009 1:05 pm

A wee update.

I called the hospital this morning & discussed my symptoms with one of ths Staff Nurses. The symptoms dont need immediate attention but Ive managed to get myself an appointment in the Acute Referral Clinic for tomorrow afternoon,

I'll let you all know the outcome as soon as I can.

Greig

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 25 Nov 2009 2:34 pm

That sounds like a good result, Greig. I hope all goes well tomorrow. It's always worth making that phone call or trip to A&E post graft, just to make sure all is still well.
Anne

GreigS
Contributor
Contributor

Postby GreigS » Wed 25 Nov 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks for that Anne.

Im hoping that it is just a cause of acute dry eye so I can get some soothing drops from them or get some advice on what to buy from the chemist.

My optician advised me that I had a touch of Blepharitis in the past. I wonder if it has come back with a vengeance ( I suffer a bit with seborrhoeic dermatitis & I am led to believe that it is all connected),

Greig

GreigS
Contributor
Contributor

Postby GreigS » Thu 26 Nov 2009 8:07 pm

Folks, the visit to the hospital went well this afternoon. The doctors are still happy with the graft.

The middle of the cornea is slightly dry ( it would appear that this is a result of the graft being put in quite tight) so Ive been prescribed Lacri Lube Eye Ointment which needs to go in 2 to 4 times a day.

The only downside is that the pressure in my left eye is slightly high so I have the delights of Timolol added to my daily cocktail of eye drops.

Greig

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 26 Nov 2009 8:45 pm

That is good news! And quite a lot of us end up with slightly raised eye pressure at some point post graft. Timolol usually does the trick. All the best for continued good healing.
Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”