Cross Linking

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

gilly49
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Cross Linking

Postby gilly49 » Mon 16 Nov 2009 9:59 am

:cry: from this to this :D Josh has now had his cxl done and 2 days down the line, he is good. Enough eye drops to sink a battle ship but we are coping. I will see if he feels up to telling everyone about his experience in the next day or two. Many, many thanks go out to the lovely Mr Vinod Kumar whose manner during the procedure was excellent and of course his lovely assistant Sue. Back at Bridgend eye hospital on Wednesday afternoon to have the contact lens bandage taken off. Will keep you all posted.
Gill (Josh's Mum)

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Re: Cross Linking

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 16 Nov 2009 10:12 am

Good News!

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Lizb
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Spectacles

Postby Lizb » Mon 16 Nov 2009 10:53 am

Hiya

i hope that your son has as much good fortune with his CXL as i have had. 1 month on and i am now able to see two more lines than previously - not clearly but could work out the letters just about, previously all i could see was the first of the two lines as black on a white background.

I realise that not everyone gets this outcome but i hope that others do as well as me.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

I´m not strange, I´m just not normal

Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad is a full minute of happiness you never get back

djain3
Contributor
Contributor

Postby djain3 » Mon 16 Nov 2009 1:02 pm

good wishes :)

gilly49
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby gilly49 » Thu 19 Nov 2009 7:29 pm

Hi all, took my son Josh to Bridgend yesterday to have the contact lens bandage removed after the CXL.
He says that he was ready to have it taken out (after 4 days) as it was beginning to aggravate his eye; up to that point he had coped really well.
Mr Kumar was very pleased with the healing process after he took the lens out, just one little bit that still had to heal but he just has to keep taking the antibiotic drops - most important - and using the gel tears to stop the dryness.
He could not believe it the other night that he could actually see detail on people's faces on the tv for a short period without his glasses, this was not permanent but he has since experienced the same thing again. He returns in a month so watch this space.
Josh has asked me to pass on to anyone considering cross linking that he is glad that he had it done in the right eye whilst he had the chance as the left eye's corneal thickness had gone below 400. Mr Kumar will not perform this procedure on anyone with a thickness less than 400.
He told me that the worst part was the removal of the epithelium and after that so long as you stay calm and keep chatting away then it is fine. If anyone out there wants to ask him a question, then please feel free (I KEEP ASKING HIM TO WRITE ON THE FORUM HIMSELF BUT HE SAYS THAT HE IS QUITE HAPPY FOR ME TO CONVERSE ON HIS BEHALF)
Regards
Gill

djain3
Contributor
Contributor

Postby djain3 » Mon 23 Nov 2009 10:41 am

Hi Gill,

Nice to hear that healing is going well.

I am not sure where you stay but you can probably look for a doctor who does this process (C3R) without epithlium removal. If later other eye required the C3R.

As may people believe that this is as successful as epithlium removal.

And you have the advantage that there is no pain and no chances of infection. While in case of CXL where epithelium is removed is very much prone to infection in first week of surgery.

(link removed at site owner's request by Moderator LonghoC 06/06/14)

See the above link which is good enough for anyone to convince.

Regards,
Deepak

Mabs
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Mabs » Tue 24 Nov 2009 4:36 pm

i was looking into getting cross linkage but its very pricey, im only a student and i cant really afford 1500 pounds and then 90 pound each visit :( its a shame that the NHS do not cover the cross linkage :(

Return to “General Discussion Forum”