Kerasoft 3 lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

LondonExile
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Kerasoft 3 lenses

Postby LondonExile » Sat 22 Nov 2008 4:55 pm

Well, Iv'e posted a couple of threads over the pas few months about the issues I've had with RGP lenses and how I couldnt tolerate them. Today I got my Kerasoft lenses. And. Oh. My. God. How great they are. Got them in with ease, weel the right one is a Kerasoft lens, the left is a "normal" toric lens. But I digress. Got them both in with ease and within a couple of minutes I couldn't even feel them - the optomertrist said I would feel them later in the day, but even after six hours of wear I still couldn't feel them.

As for the quality of vision - amazing. The weirdest thing is now I have a greater sense of depth and focus - yes it's been tough as my focus has been coming in and out but it has really been a revelation. ONt he sight test I was near 20/10 and the opt said I was a 6.5 nearly a 6.4 (i have no idea what you meant by that. but i guess it's good).

The only problem I've had is getting them out! But I guess thats mainly beacuse I've got suasage fingers!

Just wanted to post this, beacuse I've had so much trouble with lenses and I never thought it would work out.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Re: Kerasoft 3 lenses

Postby Andrew MacLean » Sat 22 Nov 2008 6:30 pm

LondonExile

Thank you for this post. It is really good to know that you have found a lens that is both comfortable and effective for you.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

naveed
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby naveed » Sat 22 Nov 2008 7:21 pm

Hi

I am myself gona get Kerasoft 3 . I am getting my first CXL on this 27 Nov and then the second eye a week later .

I have also been advised they are very good . And I should be able to get them after treatment .

Best about it they are soft .

I am getting it from http://www.lwvc.co.uk/
It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

pepepepe
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby pepepepe » Sat 22 Nov 2008 8:54 pm

Hi London Exile,

Hows your night vision in the Kerasofts with things like glare and ghosting ? For me it was worser than my uncorrected vision at night. I know Gareth had good vision in them for a very short while but since it takes a month or so for the cornea to "unmould" after RGPs had been worn, it looked like the Kerasofts was working until later on once the cornea had "unfolded" to its unmoulded state. (I have no idea why the fitter wasn't aware of this commonly know fact !)

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion

Postby rosemary johnson » Sat 22 Nov 2008 11:05 pm

Hi London Exile
Glad to hear the new lenses are so good.
6/5 vision means you can read at 6 metres distance what a "normal" person would have to get to 5 metres from thechart to read.
"Normal" is 6/6 - in the old days it was meansured in feet, and expressed as 20/20.
Rosemary

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Sun 23 Nov 2008 4:56 pm

For the past month I have been trialing the Kerasoft 3 lens and this time the transitions from RGP to soft was far quicker. My first test fit was after only 2 full days out of the RGP's I'd been wearing pretty much constantly for the past 4 years.

In between the K3 test fit and them arriving I had a new pair of lenses from the hospital which were not performing as well as expected. We opted to switch from RGP to K3 the following weekend and after acouple of days vision was well within the driving standard for the left eye and the right the vision was off but possibly due to the new right lens having a larger touch than the old one.

Now worn the K3 for a full month and the left eye I get pretty much 6/6 all day and the right is closer to 6/12. Wednesday last week I visited Lynn for a final tweek of the lens and we are sure 6/6 is achieveable in both eyes. For me this usually means 6/5 binocular vision which is then matching RGP performance with comfort and lens wear of 12 hours 6 days per week compared to 8 hours on a good day 5 days per week in RGP's.

Naveed might be part of the same clinical trial that I am assisting Lynn with. The K3's are getting increased recognition and after being invited to attend the Hospital optometrists Confrence this weekend there was a very high interest in these lenses from the optoms. We also managed to promote the KC group too which meant Anne and I were rushed off our feet all day and then poor Anne had to tolerate my driving too!

Only wore the K3 for half today as I got invited by a couple of presneters at the confrence to listen to their presentations, just need to type up my notes on the one that is of real interest to the group. Now back into the RGP as I need to trial the lenses I have got from the hospital and feedback those results.

There are new developmnets coming for soft lenses which I hope to be trialling alongside the K3 over Christmas.
Gareth

naveed
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby naveed » Sun 23 Nov 2008 6:42 pm

Hi GarethB

Yes I am getting it from Lynn , she has been very helpful ,she has been a great help , however I dont know about clinical trial ..

Also you are lucky for half price offer .... Please let me know if that offer is still available or if any other conf comes .

Thanks

Naveed
It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

pepepepe
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby pepepepe » Sun 23 Nov 2008 8:21 pm

What are the costs of Kerasofts ? with out trails how do we know they are safe and work as they say they do ?
From watching the conference DVD the guy from Moorfields was saying that with RGP's there are less infections than with soft contact lenses. Whats the vision like in the night time compared to RGP's ? Why are the risks not covered on their site ?

naveed
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby naveed » Sun 23 Nov 2008 9:47 pm

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 24 Nov 2008 7:13 am

health warning:

Nobody has ever suggested that Kerasoft 3 is a suitable lens for everybody with KC. The condition exhibits with such unique characteristics in each of us that it would probably not be possible ever to find a 'one solution fits all' answer to the many questions it throws up.

Naveed; all the best with your kerasoft 3. I sincerely hope the lens works as well for you as RGP's do for many others, Sclerals for yet more and the range of lenses through hybrids and piggy backs that are used by people using the site.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”