Kerasoft 3 lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

pepepepe
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC

Re: Kerasoft 3 lenses

Postby pepepepe » Mon 15 Dec 2008 9:10 am

Thanks London Exile for your reply. I was told by an Optom at the forefront of contact lens fitting that Kerasoft 3 do cause more night time glare problems than its known about, that's how I know

Pepe

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 15 Dec 2008 10:02 am

Pepe

I guess that for some this may be the case, but if experience of KC has taught us anything it is that for others there will be no such difficulty.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 15 Dec 2008 12:39 pm

KC paiients need to wear their contacts for super long times and can't switch to glasses like a "normal" soft contact lens wearer.

No one is forcing us to wear lenses for super long times. Most people I know that wear soft lenses for vanity wear lenses for 16 hours, more than I could ever manage with RGP lenses, never tried with the softs yet.

We make a choice when we need to see and develop startegies to cope which is why many of us have adapted to monocular vision and alternate vison between eyes to get extended wear.

I don't beleive anyone has been forced to wear a particular lens by their optom. I will conceed that sometimes the options regarding the variety of lenses available to us can be limited due to the unequness of each patient.
Gareth

LondonExile
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby LondonExile » Mon 15 Dec 2008 7:29 pm

GarethB wrote:
KC paiients need to wear their contacts for super long times and can't switch to glasses like a "normal" soft contact lens wearer.

No one is forcing us to wear lenses for super long times. Most people I know that wear soft lenses for vanity wear lenses for 16 hours, more than I could ever manage with RGP lenses, never tried with the softs yet.

We make a choice when we need to see and develop startegies to cope which is why many of us have adapted to monocular vision and alternate vison between eyes to get extended wear.

I don't beleive anyone has been forced to wear a particular lens by their optom. I will conceed that sometimes the options regarding the variety of lenses available to us can be limited due to the unequness of each patient.

Very well put. I can wear my lenses for about 24hrs without any kind of soreness or dry eyes. I wanted contact lenses long before I knoew I had KC - partly for vanity reasons. I'm happy with my soloution it works for me and that's all that matters.

There seems to be some real negative comments about K3 lenses on this thread. Yes thay are not perfect, but what in life is? I don't understand why people seem to be so down on what is a relatively new product to market. Espcecially if you haven't them.

Pepe, as for night time glare. I think you have misrepresented my comments - I get no more night time glare than I did wearing my glasses, so it's hardly a point of contention.

And as for people with KC having to wear their lenses for "super long times" and not being able to "switch to glasses". Not so. I do both when it suits me. I prefer my lenses but have days when glasses are the better options. And by the way what is "normal"?

Edited to remove a comment to which another user had taken offense; December 27, 2008

rosemary johnson
Champion
Champion
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby rosemary johnson » Mon 15 Dec 2008 8:07 pm

Well, es, it is true; no-one forces me to wear lenses for long periods, or even at all.
I can learn to potter round the house, or even the office, or even to get from one to the other, without them.
SOme of you lucky ones may still have vision that can get some worthwhile correction from glasses.
SOme of us, it's lenses or nothing.
SOrry to sound pedantic..... gave up on glasses even before I got the first lenses, well over 30 years ago now.
Rosemary

pepepepe
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby pepepepe » Mon 15 Dec 2008 8:14 pm

London Exile,

If you can switch to glasses at any time, then your KC is not that bad in the grand scale of things. Its all different, but both the advantages and disadvantages need to be looked at before a more informed choice can be fully made.

I hope you continued good eye days

Pepe

Lynn White
Optometrist
Optometrist

Postby Lynn White » Mon 15 Dec 2008 10:20 pm

Just a point about wearing/seeing through glasses.

With classical keratoconus, the cone area is fairly central which means that is the area of maximal distortion. In cases like this, vision through glasses is very difficult and patients can only really get vision with contact lenses, hence Pepe's statement about long wearing times.

With low set cones and PMD, vision through glasses can be reasonable as the maximal distortion area is below the visual axis. However, in these cases there is often a lot of aberration so that although vision is "reasonable" there is a lot of ghosting and multiple images.

Low cones and PMD can be quite severe while central keratoconus can be mild. As I said before, this is a "designer" condition and no two people's experiences are the same.

This also applies to contact lens experiences, so it is very difficult for anyone to give generalised advice or indeed pass generalised opinions. Most KC contact lens fitters have a saying - "Whatever works". So if a contact lens type works for you - then that's great. If it doesn't - move on to the next option but don't assume it won't work for someone else. Keratoconic eyes are fascinatingly unique - though I am quite sure that most of you would be quite happy to have boringly uninteresting eyes!

Lynn
Lynn White MSc FCOptom
Optometrist Contact Lens Fitter
Clinical Director, UltraVision

email: lynn.white@lwvc.co.uk

pepepepe
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby pepepepe » Tue 16 Dec 2008 11:05 am

Thanks Lynn for your post !

pepe

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Tue 16 Dec 2008 12:58 pm

Just like Rosemary I have given up on glasses, the vision gain is only in one eye and is far from ideal in that the balance is so off, I feel ill and jsut standing up I can get the sensation of vertigo.

When I wore the K3 lenses through November night time glare was not a problem, no worse than my RGP's which I am wearing at the moment.

Looking forward to going back to the K3 on Saturday.

Hopefully by mid-january we will know if I can take up motorsport again :shock:
Gareth

gilly49
Keratoconus: No, I don't suffer from KC

Postby gilly49 » Wed 17 Dec 2008 10:40 pm

Hi Naveed
How did your cross linking treatment go? I would be very interested to know honestly how it felt and what after effects you are having if you dont mind discussing it on the forum or email me privately. Trying to get as many views and opinions before I help my son make his decision in January next year.
Many thanks
Gill

Return to “General Discussion Forum”