Hybrid lenses

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anonymous (mg)

Hybrid lenses

Postby Anonymous (mg) » Fri 12 Mar 2004 10:10 pm

I was told I had keratoconus by the eye hospital in September. Since then I have been to various opthalmologists and have tried rgp lenses - these keep on moving aroung in the eye and cause excessive blinking. My most recent opthamologist has given lenses which are really comfortable but are soft lenses. The vision is really variable but I was wondering whether these type of lenses would actually stop the progression. Also could these lenses be hybrid lenses - my opthalmologist is very vague and does not really tell me what they are. They cost £250, are the size of a 2p coin and go underneath my eyelids (I have small eyes)and I use the Opti- free express solution.
Does anyone have hybrid lenses. Is it just one lens as opposed to the piggy back system and what solution is used for these lenses and it is possible to tell that they are hard lensses in the middle.
Would be grateful if someone can help me out here as I have been off work for the last few weeks trying to sort the situation out.

Anna Mason

Postby Anna Mason » Fri 12 Mar 2004 10:10 pm

Hi its difficult to know what lenses you have so I will guess and describe mine.

My lenses are called softperm. They are not as large as a 2p coin, smaller closer to a small 10p.
The lens itself does fit slightly under my eyelid. The Middle is hard like a corneal RGP and the outer edge is like a soft lens.

You say the vision is variable - when I first got my Softperm I found this could happen and there are two things that can definitely affect the vision.
1) The lens can dry out slightly when you are wearing it and so does not fit the eye as well so impairs your vision you have two options :-

Take it out and put it in saline for 20 mins or so - not very convenient but helps.

Always carry some rewetting drops of your choice and wack a few of those in your eye this will definitely help
(Don't forget if you put eye drops in don't blink a lot, I used to, this has the action of pumping the drops back out)
Wack them in and hold your eye shut for 10 seconds.

2) Protein can build up on the centre over time (How long depends on the individual ) you can very gently clean the centre with a cotton bud and some Miraflow or similar then rinse and store overnight or rinse very well and wack it back in.

You say you have been off work trying to sort the situation out not sure what you are referring to here?

Hope this helps don't despair there is always light at the end of every tunnel!!

Anonymous (Elizabeth)

Postby Anonymous (Elizabeth) » Fri 12 Mar 2004 10:11 pm

To MG. you might have kerasoft lenses. They are soft lenses which are bigger and thicker than normal soft lenses.They have been made specially for people with keratoconus.Do you have the containers that they came in to check the name?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”