date for my graft

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Russ Warburton

date for my graft

Postby Russ Warburton » Mon 05 May 2008 5:24 pm

hi everyone,
just a line to let you know i will have a full Graft on my left eye on the 14th may at the royal liverpool hospital,
a bit nervous but be glad when its over and done with, i will keep you informed of my progress if thats ok, i know in the past i have asked questions about the graft and everyone has been helpful with their comments, i know every graft is different, so i will post my experiances if thats ok
just one question is it best to wear sunglasses for a few days after?
thanks
Russ

donna
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Re: date for my graft

Postby donna » Mon 05 May 2008 5:29 pm

Hi Russ, no idea about the sunglasses just wanted to wish you good luck :D

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 05 May 2008 6:11 pm

Russ

All the best with your surgery. I'd say yes to the sunglasses, although if you walk out of the hospital with an eye shield you may have to wait until you get home before you start to wear your shades.

Every good wish

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Bobbybingo
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Bobbybingo » Mon 05 May 2008 8:54 pm

Russ

Good Luck for your graft, I had mine done just over two weeks ago, Sunglasses are a MUST !! Invest in a good dark pair you will not regret it.

Keep us updated and if you need to ask questions feel free.

Bob

melissa
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby melissa » Tue 06 May 2008 8:39 am

Hi Russ,
Good luck for your surgery. Try not to worry too much about it. and indulge yourself afterwards. sunglasses certainly help. for the first few days i had a dressing on the eye but wore sunglasses over to further reduce the light when outside- which wasnt often. Relax and give your body time to heal.
let us know how it goes as soon as you feel comfortable at a PC. we dont mind spelling mistakes.
Good luck
Melissa

Russ Warburton

Postby Russ Warburton » Mon 21 Jul 2008 6:55 pm

Hi everyone,
its now been 2 months since i had the full graft, and touch wood everything is going well,
had the op at the royal liverpool went in on weds morning did the op weds afternoon stayed in overnight and was allowed to go home the next day with strict instructions to take it easy for a while,
had to sleep sitting up for a few days, with a guard on, my poor wife had to bathe the eye every morning for the first few days, as it was closed and lids stuck together, but it got better in time, sunglasses were a godsend and still are, i have returned to the royal for my checkups and everything is fine except they were worried about the pressure behind the eye and gave me drops to take for two months, returned to work after 4 weeks and tried to ease myself back into work, i forgot about the eye once when i tried to lift a box of files, big mistake!! pain was quite severe, and when i returned to the royal for a checkup a week later i was told in no uncertain terms not to lift!!!
anyway vision is improving all the time, and i would like to say thanks for the support i received from this site in the past, its nice to speak to people who have been through the same problems/ops that i face
regards
Russ

Return to “General Discussion Forum”