Young people with KC

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anonymous (Sannia)

Young people with KC

Postby Anonymous (Sannia) » Fri 12 Mar 2004 10:07 pm

any one out there with keratoconus and under 16?

Anonymous (HelenScholar)

Postby Anonymous (HelenScholar) » Mon 15 Mar 2004 6:07 pm

Sannia - just to let you know you are certainly not the only under 16 year old with the condition. My son is almost 15 and started with KC aged 10. He has had lenses for about 18 months now and is doing ok. Perhaps you have just found out that you have KC, which must be scary if you aren't sure what to expect. My son doesn't like to think of himself as different and at the moment, doesn't want to use the KC group website, but if you have any specific questions I could ask him and then post a message back to you.

Elizabeth Smith

Postby Elizabeth Smith » Mon 15 Mar 2004 6:07 pm

Hello Sannia, My son is 15 and he also has KC. He was diagnosed about 18 months ago and now has no problems in school, or at least when he is wearing his glasses. He was prescribed contact lenses but went off them when he had hayfever last year.
If you want to talk to him about his views, please get my address from Anne who I'm sure will pass it onto you.
Take care, and dont worry

Anonymous (KateF)

Postby Anonymous (KateF) » Mon 15 Mar 2004 6:21 pm

Hi Sannia
my son Dale has been diagnosed KC since he had an acute episode of hydrops (fluid pushing forwards into the cornea) at 15. He stuck with glasses but couldn't see much!We registered him as partially sighted which made me very sad but at least helped other people to understand that he really couldn't see as much as they thought he could !
Last year age 18 he took to scleral lenses and absolutely loves them because he can see well.
Dale has severe learning difficulties Id be pleased to hear from anyone elso who has.
He takes lots of high strength evening primrose oil which reduces his skin sensitivity and i am pretty sure has helped lens tolerance, he has never shown any adverse reactions to them and gets 10+ hours wear time.

to Kirsty
go for scerals - we're happy converts!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”