DLA advice needed

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

DLA advice needed

Postby Anne Klepacz » Tue 11 Jan 2005 8:24 pm

Has anybody successfully applied for DLA? One of our members has recently had her application turned down and is intending to appeal this decision. She would welcome any advice from people who have succeeded. The main grounds for rejection seem to have been an unhelpful hospital letter. If you can help, please e-mail me (anneklepacz@aol) and I'll give you her contact details.
Many thanks
Anne

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 12 Jan 2005 12:18 pm

Anne

I'm pretty sure that there was a posting about a year ago form somebody who had been awarded the minimum amoung available on Disability Living allowance. From memory I think he said it was about £12 per week.

I think ohn replied to that posting. maybe he can remember more, or even find the original post.

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby GarethB » Wed 12 Jan 2005 12:47 pm

If the rejection is purly on sight, if the person concerned goes to the theory test people and request a sight test, you get it in writting from the DVLA that your sight is suitable for driving.

My doctor has told me it is not worth declaring as we KC sufferers have far more sight tests than you average driver or glasses wearer so problems are spotted far sooner thus making us better in that respect.

I tell my insurance that I wear contact lenses and they class that just like someone who drives with glasses. As long as I drive with corrected vision I am legal to drive.

Institute of Advanced Motorists http://www.iam.org.uk are worth a rty along with the driving standards agency (govern driving instructors) or ask a local driving instructor. These people were very helpful when I started driving again many years ago and once my sight was finall sorted in November 2004.

Regards

Gareth

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Rob Armstrong » Wed 12 Jan 2005 10:45 pm

Gareth, I think you're getting your acronyms mixed up!

DLA stands for Disability Living Allowance.

Andrew, I think that post you refer to may have been me. I was told to apply for DLA (amongst others) when I was put on the waiting list for the graft. I think DLA was the one I had the least messing with over all, although it was by no-means straightforward. I had so many letters and forms during that period that it all gets a bit confusing.
That's all behind me now anyway - I haven't been receiving any benefits for a while now.

It was about £15 a week for each component at the lower rate - namely care and mobility.

In my case I know the assessor did receive a report from my hospital, although I have never seen what it contained - I assume the fact that I was awaiting surgery was pretty significant.

Having read the initial post I don't really know what advice I can offer, as it appears to be the hospital that are contributing to the difficulties - I "only" had the Department for Work and Pensions to tackle.
This case looks like a battle on two fronts.

I'm willing to help if I can though, just not sure what more I can do in this case.

Rob.

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 13 Jan 2005 8:47 am

Rob

How are things now?

Andrew
Andrew MacLean

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Sophie Bull » Thu 13 Jan 2005 11:24 am

Im not sure if this is much help as I didnt actually get any help from DLA despite appealing against their inital decision.

I too was waiting for a graft so I think this perhaps has little relevance on what they decide. The problem for me may be thta I am a student so I dont fit into the cant do paid work box, but struggle finacially as i can not have a part time job and get all my uni work done.

I did not see any letter that was sent by the hospital although wouldnt be surpirsed if this is where the problem was. I htink perhaps more likely my application did not get through the intial assesment. I found the form pretty difficult to complete and perhaps its worth seeking advice before submitting it for a first time.

Sorry thats not much help, perhaps I could dig out the letter they sent in reply when they turned me down and let you know specifically the grounds for rejection.

Will let you know
Soph

Drew Radcliffe
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Drew Radcliffe » Thu 13 Jan 2005 8:14 pm

After much nagging from my social worker I have just applied.

She gave me a checklist of stuff to put in the form which id be happy to mail to anyone.

Another tip, the Citizens Advice Bureau are really used to filling in these forms and know the criteria used to award DLA. They came into college and filled mine in because i can't, but they will help anyone.

Susan Mason
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby Susan Mason » Sat 15 Jan 2005 2:55 am

Hello all

Not sure if this will help or not however, I know someone who has MS and applied for DLA. They suggested I should apply too, although as yet I haven't as I feel a bit of a fraud (I think I am still coming to terms with everything).
It was suggested to me that all first time applications are refused (seems pretty stupid to me however it was the advice given to me). I was also told that things would have to be painted in their worst light on the forms I am not suggesting LYING just admittiting to things that maybe we wouldn't do everyday.

Hope this helps

Susan

PS as a last note my hubby has a knee problem and finds it difficult to walk he has approx 90 deg bend in it and can't kneel down. Getting on and off the floor is quite a picture and he finds other things that may involve resting on his knee impossible. He has applied twice and been refused on both times. The first time he appealed he still was refused. On his second application his disability was recognised however he was told it was not debilitating enough. The GP who came out to him for his assesment did however ask about the rest of the family. My husband mentioned my KC and he suddebly woke up from his calm and relaxed state. He seemed quite keen and asked lots of questions suggesting I should apply and also commenting that if I was refused first time at appeal if I took my lenses out I would prove the point. As I said I haven't yet applied it all seems very fishy to me and part of me wonders why we should have to put so much effort nto getting what some of us really need when in some ways benefits seem to come easy for others. Possibly the many false claimants have spoilt it for the rest of us.

Rob Armstrong
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby Rob Armstrong » Sat 15 Jan 2005 5:55 pm

Hi Andrew,

At the moment I'm working part time while I finsih my dissertation so I can finally graduate!

It was the second anniversary of my graft op last weekend, and things have changed pretty dramatically during that period. My vision is still a bit variable - can get excellent correction with glasses, but it's pointless prescribing them because my prescription keeps rapidly changing! A bit frustrating, but I'm coping OK. Doctor's don't know why it's happening, the latest is it still might be healing - they offered to whip out all my stitches on Thursday because it "might" help!

Been asked if I want the other eye doing the last few visits - not in any hurry.

Hi Sophie,

I too was a student when going through the graft and applying for benefits - I had had to put uni on hold, and I told them I had previously quit my part-time job as I wasn't able to wear my lenses for any decent length of time - especially in such a dry-air environment. You've got it spot on when you say KC doesn't fit into their neat little boxes. The forms specifically state you must put what you can see with any glasses/contact lenses - no mention of how often or how long you can wear them for.

Here's some general info about what I included in my DLA application:

I made a point of using the extra details boxes - I told them the limitations of my lenses (dusty environments etc). I told them what box I'd tick for when I'm not wearing my lenses etc. I typed it all up and printed it so it would fit in the space provided - pointing out that I had done this as I can view the text on a screen at much larger sizes.

I looked up some definitions of Keratoconus (make sure you spell it right on the form!) and mixed and matched them to create my own detailed explanation. I explained how I didn't go out much anymore, and how I nearly always had someone with me when I did (I was awarded the lower rate mobility component for not being able to cope on my own in an unfamiliar place).

I gave examples of everyday tasks that I found difficult - shaving, pouring something into a cup/glass etc. (I was awarded the lower rate care component for not being able to prepare a full cooked meal unaided).

Include anything that gives an insight into how Keratoconus negatively affects your daily life - it can be difficult because it means admitting to yourself how bad things have become - the whole process really got me down.

The key battle with KC seems to be getting across that you can't wear your lenses 24/7 - leaving you with very poor vision for much of the time. My KC had been progressing really fast at the time and I was going through lenses at a crazy pace - sometimes being left without lenses altogether while I was waiting for new ones. Meanwhile my tolerance seemed to be going down and I reached the point where they said I couldn't wear a lens in my right eye at all anymore - was soon on the waiting list for a graft. I'm assuming this was all detailed in the letter from the hospital to the assessor and proved important to the decision.

Anyway that's about all the advice I can think of, apart from not giving up - be persistant!

Rob.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee

DLA Advice needed

Postby Anne Klepacz » Wed 19 Jan 2005 8:49 pm

Many thanks for all the replies. The reason I posted the message is that Denise isn't on e-mail and doesn't have access to the internet. I'll pass on your suggestions to her, but I think she'd really like to talk to someone who has been through the process. So if any of you would be happy to chat to her on the phone, please do e-mail me (anneklepacz@aol.com) and I 'll pass on her phone number or give her yours. Thanks again. Anne

Return to “General Discussion Forum”