FIRST TIME TO THIS SITE.

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

gavin john
Contributor
Contributor

FIRST TIME TO THIS SITE.

Postby gavin john » Mon 12 Mar 2007 4:54 pm

I BEEN WAITING JUST OVER 2 YEARS AND HOPEFULLY I WILL HAVE 1 HARD RIGID CONTACT lens APRIL 2007 WHICH I PAID FOR LAST APPOINTMENT IN JAN 2007. I THINK THAT WAS A LONG TIME TO WAIT BECAUSE I CANT SEE PEOPLE PROPERLY MORE THAN A FOOT AWAY IN MY LEFT EYE. AT THE MO MY RIGHT EYE IS OK THOUGH, I JUST HOPE AND PRAY I DONT GET IT IN THAT EYE. HAS ANY OF YOU HAD TO WAIT SO LONG? :?:

GarethB
Ambassador
Ambassador
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby GarethB » Mon 12 Mar 2007 7:04 pm

Hi Gavin

Welcome to the forum.

The wait for a lens does seem excessive, but it does depend which hospital is treating you.

I know more hospitals are having to pass orders through the finance department too and they are being asked if the lenses are necessary. In our case it is a definite yes, but they sit on the order for a while. Then the lneses typically take two weeks to be made and then the hospital makes an aopintment and sends the letter out, usually 4 weeks in advance to give you time to make arrangments at college, work and transport etc which then puts you atleast 10 weeks after your last appointmnet. Just my theory. Hopefully the lenses will give the vision you have been waiting for.
Gareth

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Mon 12 Mar 2007 7:29 pm

Gavin

I thinK that the wait was excessive, but I hope that when your lenses arrive they were worth the wait!

Yours aye

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew MacLean on Mon 12 Mar 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew MacLean

kerrie phillips
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby kerrie phillips » Mon 12 Mar 2007 9:00 pm

I have the same problem but in both eyes i cant see people more then a foot away either. nor the no plate for my driving test.
i have been waiting since august. tried three diff lenses and none worked for me vision wise. tried totally soft, ones that were hard in the middle and soft outer.which did not work tried ridgid and could not tolerate them.
Although my overall wait for each set was only a matter of a couple of weeks i am still waiting to be sorted, the contact guy says i am the only person he has had this much trouble with.

gavin john
Contributor
Contributor

hi kerrie, thanks for the advice and reply

Postby gavin john » Tue 13 Mar 2007 9:11 am

sorry to hear that, hope you find both lenses that will solve your sight for the better. i first went to spec savers november 2004, they then passed me a envelope to give to my doctor. i then had my first appointment in the hospital jan 2006. i have tried a few lenses on each apointment for my left eye,i now have hopefully found the lens for me, i think its a hard big gas rigid one which she ordered for me jan 2007. the way i will have to put the lens in, i have to put my head towards my knees not like before where she would tilt my head back. she put it in for me,i had it in for about 20 mins and it was sort of ok i could see to my left side again and could read about the fifth or six line down. which i was happy with big time. i waited in the waiting area for 20 mins but could not see the fire exit sign properly from abot 15mtrs away but at least i could see again :).i will let you all know how i got on with my new lens next month, just hope i will beable to put it in, which i will find hard.

gavin john
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gavin john » Tue 13 Mar 2007 9:15 am

Andrew MacLean wrote:Gavin

I thinK that the wait was excessive, but I hope that when your lenses arrive they were worth the wait!

Yours aye

Andrew
cheers for the advise mate thanks

best regards
gavin
Last edited by gavin john on Tue 13 Mar 2007 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

gavin john
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gavin john » Tue 13 Mar 2007 9:17 am

GarethB wrote:Hi Gavin
thanks for the advice mate

best regards
gavin
Welcome to the forum.

The wait for a lens does seem excessive, but it does depend which hospital is treating you.

I know more hospitals are having to pass orders through the finance department too and they are being asked if the lenses are necessary. In our case it is a definite yes, but they sit on the order for a while. Then the lneses typically take two weeks to be made and then the hospital makes an aopintment and sends the letter out, usually 4 weeks in advance to give you time to make arrangments at college, work and transport etc which then puts you atleast 10 weeks after your last appointmnet. Just my theory. Hopefully the lenses will give the vision you have been waiting for.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”