Supporting my son

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Carena Eaton

Supporting my son

Postby Carena Eaton » Mon 16 Aug 2004 9:52 am

Hello

My son has recently been diagnosed with Keracotonus. his eyesight has been poor for a number of years, but it was only this year he was diagnosed as having Keracotonus. He is having difficulty with the contact lenses prescribed and has given up on them. Our experiences to date with our local optometrist and the opthalmologist at the Eye hospital have not been positive, their approach is, you just have to get on with it. One quote I was given " In my experience if they want to wear contact lenses enough they will persevere" My son is about to go into his third year at University very depressed and feeling sorry for himself ( understandably so) He also wants to join the Police force when he completed his degree and is not sure whether this condition will prevent him from doing so. Any advice on how I can support my son would be helpful. We live in the Manchester region, so if anyone has knowledge of experienced practitioners, I would be grateful if you could pass their names on to us.

Thank you

Carena

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

supporting son

Postby Anne Klepacz » Thu 25 Nov 2004 9:18 pm

Carena
I hope you haven't totally given up on us after all this time without a reply. I don't know if you spotted the 'Supporting Students with KC' leaflet which you can print off the website, and which your son may want to give to his tutors. We also had a conference in 2003 which included several talks on studying with KC and contributions from other parents. If you e-mail me direct on anneklepacz@aol.com I can give you more details. I'm in London and don't know about KC practitioners in the Manchester area apart from the hospital. But if you post that part of your query on the general discussion board, there may well be members in the Manchester area who would have suggestions for you. Again many apologies for the delay in replying to you - I didn't spot that no-one else had answered your query.
Anne

sandi sydenham
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sandi sydenham » Tue 30 Nov 2004 12:03 pm

Hi Carena
Maybe we can help each other . I have a 21 year old daughter at uni and have had to deal with similar things I guess. Anne has my email and phone number and will pass them on if you want?
sandi

Return to “General Discussion Forum”