Keratoconus & cornea graft question

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Keratoconus & cornea graft question

Postby J_ZA » Fri 13 Aug 2021 1:28 pm

gsward wrote:
Other than that, the cornea is very healthy and the keratoconus hasn't returned in all these years, so I'm happy.

having these long term updates is really helpful to those of us way behind you. They ought to be clinically useful too, if the information could be captured in some way. I know it is in your notes but a lot will be in yours and the optometrists head.

Keep the story going!

Thanks,

Graham

Thanks, I'll definitely be doing that.

I also wish I had kept more notes, or could at least see my files. It's been so long, I had forgotten some of the earlier issues.

RedOnion
Regular contributor
Regular contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Postby RedOnion » Fri 13 Aug 2021 3:51 pm

That’s great to hear that it seems to have gone well!

kieran1985
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby kieran1985 » Sun 15 Aug 2021 7:35 pm

i am thinking about getting a graft in my worst eye - finger counting only in that eye and might be worst the risk

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Mon 16 Aug 2021 7:00 am

kieran1985 wrote:i am thinking about getting a graft in my worst eye - finger counting only in that eye and might be worst the risk

Everyone is different, but in my case, it was worth it a hundred times over. Before the graft, I could basically not do anything without wearing my hard contact lenses. Now I can watch TV, read, etc. in the evenings.

I have also had the worst eye done as per my ophthalmologist's advice, and the other one has been coping okay.

The only thing I would do differently is to get the sutures removed as quickly as possible.

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 16 Aug 2021 1:15 pm

Really good that it's been such a good outcome for you. Just to put your last remark about sutures into context, I think you said earlier in this thread that you had them out gradually over quite a few years. 'As quickly as possible' isn't usually earlier than 18 months post-graft for a PK graft. Any sooner risks its own problems, as I discovered to my cost many years ago when my sutures were removed before things had properly healed.
Enjoy that great new vision.

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Mon 16 Aug 2021 1:22 pm

Anne Klepacz wrote:Really good that it's been such a good outcome for you. Just to put your last remark about sutures into context, I think you said earlier in this thread that you had them out gradually over quite a few years. 'As quickly as possible' isn't usually earlier than 18 months post-graft for a PK graft. Any sooner risks its own problems, as I discovered to my cost many years ago when my sutures were removed before things had properly healed.
Enjoy that great new vision.

Thanks, that's very interesting. 18 Months sounds reasonable then, my biggest issue was that I still had plenty of sutures left which hurt quite a bit when they snapped and left the ends sticking out.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Mon 16 Aug 2021 1:24 pm

Yes, I can agree with Anne's comment. Getting the sutures out quickly doesn't seem to be the preferred option now. If all is well otherwise you risk disturbing the graft or getting an unexpected astigmatism - it's like a drum skin I'm told!

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Tue 25 Jul 2023 5:33 am

Hi

Another update - went for a checkup yesterday, and also to see why I'm battling with my "old" eye's contact lens.
The good news is that the operated eye is stable, and has been for a while.

The bad news is that the left eye is on its last. The cone's point is so sharp that they're basically out of options in terms of lenses to accommodate it without rubbing on the lens or popping off. The optometrist who's also a lens expert said he'd see what he can find, but I need to start preparing myself for having a graft done.

Not looking forward at all because the previous experience is still fresh in my mind, but it should be a little bit easier this time since it's not my strong eye. I'll probably have it done next year if needs be.

Will keep you posted.

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Postby gsward » Tue 25 Jul 2023 6:56 am

What type of lens have you been wearing in that eye?

J_ZA
Contributor
Contributor

Postby J_ZA » Tue 25 Jul 2023 7:27 am

gsward wrote:What type of lens have you been wearing in that eye?

Rigid gas permeable lens.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”