KC and hay fever

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Anne Klepacz
Committee
Committee
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

KC and hay fever

Postby Anne Klepacz » Mon 14 Jun 2004 8:47 pm

A group member who doesn't have internet access rang me the other day to ask for tips on coping with hay fever - he's finding it difficult to wear his lenses at the moment. As I'm lucky enough not to have that problem, I'm posting this in the hope that someone can offer me some tips to pass on. Some time ago, people were telling me that Opticrom drops helped them. Are those the best option or does anyone use anything else that helps?

J@n

Postby J@n » Fri 02 Jul 2004 7:35 pm

Hello Ann,

My name is Jan and I am living in the Netherlands.
I have KC and wear lenses for about 15 years. I also have hayfever during spring (hazel and birch).
What helps me good are Zyrtec antihistaminic tablets. I also rewet my lenses several times during the day.
But there are days that even these tablets don't help me.

I hope I have helped with this,

Best regards,

Jan

paula hardman
Contributor
Contributor
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby paula hardman » Mon 05 Jul 2004 12:54 pm

try giving the eyes a few breaks...

If possible, take the lenses out every couple of hours, put in some rewetting drops, rinse the lenses with a bit of saline solution and put them back in after a few minutes. Take a longer break at lunchtime and put some opticrom in. A bit of a faff but it does help.

If you're in a suitable place, flush the eyes with optrex before using the drops, it doesn't help with allergies but it will calm the eyes down.

The hayfever can also cause a sensitivity to the solutions - I now always rinse mine with saline after using the protein remover, and again before insertion if the eyes are itchy.

Graham Rosenberg

Hayfever

Postby Graham Rosenberg » Fri 16 Jul 2004 2:50 pm

I was perscribed Opticrom at Moorefields and find it very useful.

Don't get it on perscription though, you can get it at most chemists and some of the big ones do a buy 2 get 3rd free at this time of year.

It is good to use it during the morning, as well as before going to bed and can be used during the day if things get bad.

GOOD LUCK

Return to “General Discussion Forum”