KC and DLA

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

KC and DLA

Postby Richard In Wales » Wed 11 Feb 2004 8:19 pm

Has anyone here ever claimed DLA for their KC problems and if so what did you list as problems you had that would enable you to get DLA. Did it affect your right to drive at all. Any tips etc ?

Many thanks

Dave
http://www.Borg-Zone.co.uk/eyelog.htm Visit My last graft Blog Site

walwal

Disability Living Allowance

Postby walwal » Thu 25 Mar 2004 4:30 am

Sorry didnt see this section before.
Put it this way, just got DLA renewed and I get the higher rate care component and the lower rate mobility component. Took 4 hours to fill in the form which is not good!
The way to fill in the form for someone who is partially sighted is on a website somewhere. Ill look it up if you want the link.
The point is that you dont get DLA just because youve got keratoconus. It has to affect everyday life in the way the form and the law and the appeals panel who decided the law say. So how you fill in the form is very important.
As for driving. I believe the law is very simple. If you can read a car number plate at 25 metres you can drive! The DVLA doctors may try and stop you for other medical reasons and even insist the case goes to your local Magistrates Court where they might endorse your license to say "must wear contact lenses prescribed by a consultant opthalmologist", but you can legally drive unless your doctor had told you not to of course.
So have a go and fill in that claim form!

Postby Guest » Thu 25 Mar 2004 12:33 pm

Hi
Yep the form was filled in by my local Disability Welfare Officer from Social Services. I am now sitting back waiting for the results :)

I also have Osteo Arthritis so that will go towards the final outcome, the doctor who came to see me did say that being partially sighted does constitute a mobility problem as well

I will let the group know what the outcome is

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Richard In Wales » Sat 22 May 2004 3:11 am

well i received £15.15 a week careers allowance now and nothing for the fact I'm in a wheel chair, because ,as the doctor said' they now only consider it if you are a danger to your self and have received medical treatment for injuries received by falling over and such like, my disability officer thinks this has changed so they can fiddle the figures and still say they are helping people, moving the goal posts

Richard In Wales
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Postby Richard In Wales » Sat 22 May 2004 3:14 am

Just realised this post is in the wrong forum area, could you move it please

Thanks

Return to “General Discussion Forum”