contact lens cases

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Helen Scholar
Contributor
Contributor

contact lens cases

Postby Helen Scholar » Mon 17 May 2004 9:21 pm

Does anyone know where to buy contact lens cases separately from solutions etc? My son prefers the kind that have a sort of soft plastic 'claw' that holds the lens (hope you know what I mean by that!) These used to come with his solutions but now they are including a different design which he doesn't like as the lenses sometimes stick to the bottom and are tricky to prise off (especially first thing in the morning!)
Also he uses gallons of soaking /wetting solution and not so much cleaner, and when I buy the solution on its own we don't get a case of any sort with it.
I have tried Boots and the Postoptics website with no luck.
Thank you

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Mon 17 May 2004 10:50 pm

I'd try a local independant optician - they generally provide excellent service.

I know exactly the case type you mean - my optician was all too please to give them away, as none of her other patients liked them, and they came "free" in the starter packs of solutions from manufacturers.
John

Andrew MacLean
Vision: Other

Postby Andrew MacLean » Wed 19 May 2004 3:30 pm

I get mine in Tesco. I'd guess other large Supermarkets with an 0n-store pharmacy will probably hve them, too.
Andrew MacLean

paula hardman
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

contact lens caes

Postby paula hardman » Thu 20 May 2004 2:38 pm

I know what you mean about the lens sticking to lens case - some sort of suction power and the lens can only be prised off with a pin or needle! I use bausch & lomb solutions which used to supply the pincer type but now only provide the suction cases. Boots sells normal style cases which are slightly textured - I've never had a problem with these.

I usually get my solutions on-line from postoptics. RRP for a 3 month supply of RGP protein remover + conditioner is about £33, but if you get 4 packs (1 years supply) at once it only costs £75 which works out at £6.25 a month. They also sell single bottles of most common solutions.

Helen Scholar
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Helen Scholar » Sat 22 May 2004 4:29 pm

Thanks for your responses - I'll try asking some friendly opticians as you suggest.
Have never seen this type of case in Tesco, though I will have a look.
I do use Postoptics - although it seems a little unfair that none of these essential supplies are available on prescription especially for under 16s doesn't it?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”