Biometrics (?) security

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Freddy Bull

Biometrics (?) security

Postby Freddy Bull » Wed 05 May 2004 6:35 pm

I wondered if anyone knew how the possible use of Iris scans might affect us with Keratoconus and/or grafts? The US intend to use the process to identify visitors and it seems our government may wish to use them for ID cards, passports, driving licences etc.

I understand a bright light is used to scan the detail of an Iris and as each iris is different our ID can be assured. Might those of us with Grafts or scarring have "rogue" readings? Will we need new iris scans if we have a graft, or have additional scarring?
Freddy Bull

John Smith
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Thu 06 May 2004 1:12 am

That's a really interesting question. One thing is for sure though - the UK's Disability Discrimination Act will protect those of us who can't have (as opposed to don't want) bright lights shone in the eyes.

This is similar to the new Chip&PIN credit cards - a lot of work is being done because of the DDA's stipulation that some people may not be able to remember a PIN, and these people still have the right to a credit card - they will simply prove their identity in a different way.
John

paula hardman
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

iris scan tests

Postby paula hardman » Fri 07 May 2004 7:46 am

I read in the Metro today that a test of iris scans on a group of 10,000 volunteers found that problems were caused by hard contact lenses, watery eyes and long eyelashes. Home Affairs Select Committee member Bob Russell was quoted as saying that 'I think this will cause serious problems for people who suffer with bright lights'. (this rules me out on all 4 counts!).

However what about the scanned image of the iris itself? If the original image is taken without the lenses won't the iris look very different when viewed through my torics and if I wear the lenses for the original what happens when the prescription changes? The only stable image is without contacts but that would mean taking them out for a scan. Has anyone seen any handwashing facilities in their local bank lately?

John Smith
Vision: Graft(s) and spectacles

Postby John Smith » Sat 08 May 2004 10:12 pm

Interesting - I wonder how you get to be on the Home Office Trial?
John

Return to “General Discussion Forum”