Operation on my left eye by professor Lombardi

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Manoucher

Operation on my left eye by professor Lombardi

Postby Manoucher » Sat 24 Apr 2004 4:57 pm

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum. I have been reading this forum and the German one for sometime. I think it might help other members and that is why I am going to share my experience with you. I live and work in Germany. On 04 of April this year, I flew to Rome. My wife accompanied me. She is a medical doctor and I think it was a huge psychological help for me. It took me a long time to take such a decision for an operation. I have been reading all the available methods and I finally decided to have my left eye operated by professor Lombardi. I gave him a call and he was always very nice and polite and helpful. My right eye has a perfect vision and I thanks heaven I had only problems with my left eye which reduced its vision to 70 percent, the problem started 3 years ago. Before that my left eye was perfect. I could correct my vision with glasses very well. Although another doctor in Germany advised me to use a hard contact lens, but I never liked it and it made my left eye ache terribly. I had always pain inside the eye.
On April 05, I was in his clinic and I had different checkups by different doctors, really many of them which was a very good sign. All people were very nice and helpful. Professor Lombardi told me that I had lost 10 percent to Keratoconus. In the late afternoon, professor Lombardi operated my left eye. It was a bit painful, but only a bit. After the operation I could not see any difference, but too early to make up my mind, and note that my left eye was 70 percent. After a while the pain started, but a pain killer and everything was fine. The next day, professor Lombardi diagnosed my eye and it was o.k. a good vision, however with astigmathism. Now after couple of weeks I have to say that my eye has been improving very well. I am not wearing glasses anymore. I still wear sunglasses from time to time. I have to say I am very happy to take this step. I am flying to Rome in two weeks for the next checkup and it could be that I need a small operation, but if my eye keeps improving I do not think it will be necessary and by the way no pain inside the left eye anymore.
At the end I can only say that I am very satisfied with the results.

Regards
Manoucher

Jason Hamlyn

Postby Jason Hamlyn » Sat 24 Apr 2004 7:36 pm

First off I'd like to say hello to all the UK members here. I have been following your site and replies for some time now but only today decided to register as I want to make a comment to Manoucher. I'd like to tell you guys I think you have a great site and I admire the forum that you provide for KC sufferers in the UK. Knowledge is power and the more us KC'ers can learn from websites like this the better off we are.

With that said I would like to also welcome Manoucher to join the discussions on this topic on the http://www.kcsupport.org website. We have been involved in heavy dialog on this topic. We have been looking for people who have had it done to come forth and share their stories. You are only in the first few weeks of this procedure. I would be very interested in seeing the long term results of this procedure.

This is a topic I don't support or dispute. I know it is a procedure that has it's share of critics. I hope you guys over there in Europe are able gain a better understanding of this procedure and the possible politics surounding it. It's apparant that people are having this performed and it worries me knowing that some doctors say this could have disasterous results.

In saying this I hope you can share your story with us also Manoucher. I will also post a link to this page on the KCsupport site so people can follow your posts just in case we don't see you.

Take care,
Jason

sajeev nadarajan
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sajeev nadarajan » Sun 25 Apr 2004 2:04 am

What great posts......Thank you for sharing your experiances with us!!!
Regards

Sajeev

Return to “General Discussion Forum”