Keratoconus Awareness

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

Sophie Bull
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Keratoconus Awareness

Postby Sophie Bull » Wed 21 Apr 2004 2:32 pm

Hi,

Im pretty new to this forum, but was looking at a few of the older messages and noticed some stuff about a Keratoconus awareness day. I was wondering if anyone has had any more plans on this-I think its a really good idea.Feel as a student I have access to quite a large audience and a wider awareness of the condition would help.

Recently I have had a few problems with my eyes getting worse and one of them no longer wanted to tolerate the lens i was wearing. It has taken up quite a bit of my time, have struggled with my vision and my concentration. I went to explain the situation to my lecturers, all of which have been really understanding, but one of which suggested maybe it was something in the air?! and some website about drops that dissolve cateracts, she was trying to help,but this was after I had described the condition and shes got a PhD (ok I do study history so its not exactly a related area, but I would like to hope she has a pretty high level of intelligence!) I hate to think what ideas most people may come up with.

Just made me think that an awareness day may be a really good thing and think I could be helpful in doing some stuff to promote it.

Sophie

Mike Oliver
Contributor
Contributor

Keratoconus awareness

Postby Mike Oliver » Tue 27 Apr 2004 11:10 am

This idea has a lot going for it. It was one of the reasons for the KC Group's national conferences in 2001 and 2003. To some extent though these were preaching to the converted.The need is to reach not only the medical professonals but also teachers, lecturers, social workers, carers etc. any suggestions as to format, venue and programme? It may be necessary to organise funding and to work with those with other conditions to ensure a good takeup. Anyone any views?

Andrew MacLean
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Other

Keratoconus awareness

Postby Andrew MacLean » Thu 29 Apr 2004 7:49 am

KC awareness day would be a tremendous idea. We'd need to blitz the media with printable articles or broadcastable soundbites.

I'm sure that there would be opthalmologists willing to offer quotes, opticians willing to offer some insight to the condition and its daily effects.

A brochure that could be circulated to GP's, through churches clubs schools and universities would be a good diea, but this would be xpensive to publish in the sorts of numbers that would be required.

Sponsorship from one of the larger opticians might fit the bill. somebody like Black and Lizar would certainly hve the resources, and may value the advertizing space.

1 Set the date
2 Devise the strategy ... there may be an ad agency that would do the work on a poro bono basis
3 Determine the cost, and seek funds (Lottery fund, sponsorship etc)
4 Work to local and national media
5 Launch baloons etc on the day.

that sort of thing
Andrew MacLean

Return to “General Discussion Forum”