RGP and Soft no good - any recommendations?

General forum for the UK Keratoconus and self-help group members.

Click on the forum name, General Discussion Forum, above.

Moderators: Anne Klepacz, John Smith, Sweet

amcs18
Keratoconus: Yes, I have KC
Vision: Contact lenses

RGP and Soft no good - any recommendations?

Postby amcs18 » Wed 12 Oct 2022 9:30 pm

Hello

I have tried RGPs, but the discomfort in trying to adopt them was like torture. I tried ramping up gradually but could not get past an hour let alone increase by an hour a day.

I therefore went back to Specsavers and soft lenses. I have one good eye which helps, so I mostly get eye strain from keratoconus. A change of prescription helps for a bit, but once bedded it no matter what I try I often get eye strain driving, or looking down whilst walking, or whilst tired, or whilst on the computer. I have come to accept it, but that’s not right either.

My NHS Optician insisted I just need to keep at it with RGP but that’s not going to work. They only seem to offer RGP or Sclerial which are much more comfortable but they are reluctant to let me have those.

Anyone had a similar experience / managed to try hybrids or Kerasoft thins or anything similar? Did it work?

Andrew

Lia Williams

Re: RGP and Soft no good - any recommendations?

Postby Lia Williams » Thu 13 Oct 2022 9:29 am

RGPs shouldn't be uncomfortable. It is true that they do take some time to get used to but after awhile you shouldn't really notice that you are wearing them. There are lots of different designs of RGPs so it may be that a different design would work for you.

If the optician says that your RGP is a good fit another solution might be to try piggy backing. This is where a soft lens is worn under the hard lens. This could be tried with your current lenses. Typically a lens with zero or -1/2 a dioptre is used. If the soft lens is under the hard lens the power of the soft lens doesn't affect the vision of the hard lens. I've been piggy backing my RGPs for over ten years and it works for me.

Lia

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby gsward » Thu 13 Oct 2022 1:04 pm

Many of us progress from RGPs to Sclerals because the RGPs become increasingly difficult to fit or are just plain uncomfortable. Fitted wel,l they should be good for even the most challenging KC affected corneas as there is no contact with the cornea only the white part of your eye.

Wildeye

Postby Wildeye » Sun 06 Nov 2022 8:49 am

You could try mini sclerals. These rest on the limbal region just past the cornea and being bigger than a normal RGP you don’t get the eye lid sensation as these ride over the Lens. Being RPG you get all the benefits like high DK index, easy cleaning and handling.

taylan
Contributor
Contributor
Vision: Contact lenses

Postby taylan » Sun 06 Nov 2022 10:44 pm

Wildeye wrote:You could try mini sclerals. These rest on the limbal region just past the cornea and being bigger than a normal RGP you don’t get the eye lid sensation as these ride over the Lens. Being RPG you get all the benefits like high DK index, easy cleaning and handling.

Does NHS offer mini scaler lens?

gsward
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
Vision: Graft(s) and contact lenses

Postby gsward » Mon 07 Nov 2022 8:00 am

Yes, but it does depend whether your Optom has experience of fitting them.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”